cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with translating poster..... Mongolian??

Need some help with translation of this poster including all publisher/maker/discription stamps etc.

I've so far been told that this is a 3rd place winning poster in a activist peace/anti war poster competition, but have no way of confirming. Not even sure it is in the Mongol language as someone told me....

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I've taken and attached a few photos including close-ups of the small print stamps and logos.IMG_5832.JPGIMG_5828.JPGIMG_5831.JPGIMG_5835.JPGIMG_5834.JPGIMG_5833.JPGIMG_5837.JPGIMG_5832.JPG

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

OK, here is the Cyrillic text encircling the earth-logo:

МЕЖДУНАРОДНЫЙ КОНКУРС
ПОЛИТИЧЕСКОГО ПЛАКАТА

This is Russian, and it means:

INTERNATIONAL POLITICAL POSTER COMPETITION

Then in larger font there's the following text:

РАДИ ЖИЗНИ НА ЗЕМЛЕ

which is also Russian, and which means:

FOR LIFE ON EARTH

The main text at the top reads as follows:

НЕУЖЕЛИ ОСТАВИТЬ БУДУЩЕЕ ПОКОЛЕНИЕ СО СМЕРТЕЛЬНЫМ ГРУЗОМ
МАНАЛШАФ ТУМЕН ЖАРГАЛ

(МОНГОЛЬСКАЯ НАРОДНАЯ РЕСПУБЛИКА)

ТРЕТЬЯ ПРЕМЯ

The first line is in Russian:

MUST THE FUTURE GENERATION REALLY BE LEFT WITH A DEADLY BURDEN

The second line (МАНАЛШАФ ТУМЕН ЖАРГАЛ) appears to be in Mongolian. According to Google Translate, it means "PRACTICAL LEGISLATION". I have no idea if this is correct. "Practical steps" may be closer to the sense of it, but I simply don't know.

The third line (МОНГОЛЬСКАЯ НАРОДНАЯ РЕСПУБЛИКА), says MONGOLIAN PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC (in Russian).

The last line says ТРЕТЬЯ ПРЕМИЯ, means THIRD PRIZE (in Russian), obviously referring to the poster design.

So basically you were given reliable information. The writing on the poster itself is in the Mongolian script mentioned by Maxine - I do not pretend to know what it says.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Can't help with a translation.

This forum is probably one of the most incorrect (it's for discussion and feedback on the eBay Community Forum software and functionality with Lithium/eBay employees), and going to be the most useless for your request (low viewership).

Suggest posting in a more appropriate discussion forum such as Collectibles&Art or Selling, or the knowledge base Selling area.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I agree: Collectibles board is much more likely to have posters with  language talents.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Ditto...and FWIW, the title "Inside eBay" draws posters in like a moth to a flame!  Intuitively, wouldn't someone think that "Inside eBay" would refer to the buying/selling platform and not the "community" platform?  Perhaps, "Inside Posting Community"  or similar would be a better choice...and while I am expressing my 2¢ worth (Smiley Very Happy) the word "feedback" in the "Community Platform Feedback" title, does the same thing...the word "feedback" is a hot button attracting posts that belong on other boards, but it does keep the mods busy moving the posts! Smiley Wink  

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I think it's Russian.
Janet
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

It's from Mongolia, with text in both Russian and Mongolian.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

And to complicate matters, Mongolia generally uses the Cyrillic alphabet now, although you still see the old script used in artwork, both fine and graphic, because it is so lovely.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

OK, here is the Cyrillic text encircling the earth-logo:

МЕЖДУНАРОДНЫЙ КОНКУРС
ПОЛИТИЧЕСКОГО ПЛАКАТА

This is Russian, and it means:

INTERNATIONAL POLITICAL POSTER COMPETITION

Then in larger font there's the following text:

РАДИ ЖИЗНИ НА ЗЕМЛЕ

which is also Russian, and which means:

FOR LIFE ON EARTH

The main text at the top reads as follows:

НЕУЖЕЛИ ОСТАВИТЬ БУДУЩЕЕ ПОКОЛЕНИЕ СО СМЕРТЕЛЬНЫМ ГРУЗОМ
МАНАЛШАФ ТУМЕН ЖАРГАЛ

(МОНГОЛЬСКАЯ НАРОДНАЯ РЕСПУБЛИКА)

ТРЕТЬЯ ПРЕМЯ

The first line is in Russian:

MUST THE FUTURE GENERATION REALLY BE LEFT WITH A DEADLY BURDEN

The second line (МАНАЛШАФ ТУМЕН ЖАРГАЛ) appears to be in Mongolian. According to Google Translate, it means "PRACTICAL LEGISLATION". I have no idea if this is correct. "Practical steps" may be closer to the sense of it, but I simply don't know.

The third line (МОНГОЛЬСКАЯ НАРОДНАЯ РЕСПУБЛИКА), says MONGOLIAN PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC (in Russian).

The last line says ТРЕТЬЯ ПРЕМИЯ, means THIRD PRIZE (in Russian), obviously referring to the poster design.

So basically you were given reliable information. The writing on the poster itself is in the Mongolian script mentioned by Maxine - I do not pretend to know what it says.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Argon, thanks soooo much for your generous help, was a little frustrated that most responses were felt like chastisement for not being aware of the right forum.. Wish more ebayers were as helpful and less pessimistic...
Thanks again for all your very helpful efforts....
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Thank you Maxine for your effort to help.....
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Being unfamiliar with ebay forums, could not recognize/find the ones you suggested, fortunately eBayer Argon38 took pity on me and gave me pretty much all I needed for the translation....

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@lexyaja3 wrote:
Argon, thanks soooo much for your generous help, was a little frustrated that most responses were felt like chastisement for not being aware of the right forum.. Wish more ebayers were as helpful and less pessimistic...
Thanks again for all your very helpful efforts....

You're welcome, and shame on you for not posting on the right forum. Smiley Wink One of the moderators seems to have moved your thread here to the Collectibles board. Actually, I think those who responded on the other forum were just trying to point you in the right direction for an answer. As you know, the boards have pretty much become a wilderness these days, aside from a few pockets of activity. It's very unfortunate, but that's how it is.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

UC Berkeley has a notable Mongolian Studies program, part of its Institute of East Asian Studies.  As a Californian, UC's resources are available to you.  So, you might think about contacting:

http://ieas.berkeley.edu/mi/

http://ieas.berkeley.edu/gas/

Message 14 of 14
latest reply