cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying lapel pin

Came upon this pin in a box of stuff from my grandfather:

Face.jpg

The back has a little inscription, and a screw-on back that makes it clear this pin is designed to not come off accidentally:

Attachment.jpgBack.jpg

My grandfather moved to Aspen, CO when he was 9 and spent his entire life there. He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles but this doesn't seem related to that. I thought "H.S." might be "High School" but he attended Aspen High School.

• He never worked for General Electric
  • These guys don't know what it is either (that's not my grandfather's pin but it's identical)

How can I learn more about this item?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Help identifying lapel pin

Apologies if I'm telling you what you already know, but the L G B would be L. G. Balfour Company, and I'd say that box dates it to no earlier than the 1960s.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I found this exact pin for sale here under this title.

VINTAGE ENAMELED GOLD FILLED G.E. HIGH SCHOOL BLUE RIBBON FELLOW SCREW BACK PIN
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Yes, that's the listing OP linked to but, as OP said, it has no actual identification of the pin -- just a by-guess-and-by-golly series of keywords.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Don't know if this seller knows what it is either, but it's a start. H.S. could be an honor society as well. The little star in the corner is probably a clue.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Opsies, I just saw that, sorry 🙂 I'll keep on the hunt, I do a ton of pins, never seen this one.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I just emailed Balfour to ask if they can help.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Balfour said "Unfortunately Balfour no longer manufactures lapel/nursing pins, this was something we offered when based in Attleboro, MA. 25+ years ago, records were not brought over to Austin, TX. Feel free to contact StyleCraft (company that took over our pin manufacturing) at 800-317-4647 for further assistance."

I emailed StyleCraft.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Just to add that "1/10 10K GF" means that it is "Gold Filled":  it's covered with a layer of 10 K gold that constitutes one tenth of the weight of the pin. (I'm sure you know this already, but not everybody does!).

Message 9 of 9
latest reply