cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Breyer horse collectors... need more info on this horse... is this horse considered a "roan"?

mycharmingtinycabin
Adventurer

Looking to hear from a Breyer Horse Collector...

I know that this horse is a "gray flea-bitten horse... Sham Mold #410"....

However, I have not been able to determine it's "name".... it does make difference when it comes
to determine its value.

What I'm wondering Is whether this a "ROAN" horse due to the areas of different color.... lightish tannish varnish brown areas mixed in with the flea-bitten gray.

There are some darker, some lighter areas.

There is mention in the 1994 Breyer Fest section on a "How to identify your Breyer Horse" website that mentions a  horse... "Rosy Rabicano Roan" .. that sold as part of lot 29.  The picture is too small and I can't determine any features.

Just wondering if those features apply to this particular horse.

Thanks again for any information someone can provide.

It is appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

HELP! Breyer horse collectors... need more info on this horse... is this horse considered a "roan"?

Looks like a Palomino.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@mycharmingtinycabin wrote:

Looking to hear from a Breyer Horse Collector...

I know that this horse is a "gray flea-bitten horse... Sham Mold #410"...

I am not a collector, but from an online search I wonder if it may actually be Breyer No. 411, "Prancing Arabian Stallion" (also a Sham mold). I can't see any tan in the photos, but it's worth checking out:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-breyer-411-prancing-arabian-stallion

http://www.identifyyourbreyer.com/catalogs/images/D1989-10.jpg

This is a Google Book link - sometimes they don't work (depending on the number of views):

Your Model Horse Collection Reference Guide 2017 By Kristin Chernoff p. 158

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I know enough about Breyer horses, from a little kid in the family who collected them, to tell you that I don't know how anyone keeps them straight. 

The first time a horse is made, it's often modelled after some famous horse.  "Sham" is probably the horse from Marguerite Henry's book.  Then that same mold is used over and over again to make "different" horses.  Actually, nothing is different except the color and the model number.  Each of the "new" models is given either the name of another famous horse of the same breed (in this case, the breed is an Arabian) or a generic name referring to its color, stance, whatever (such as Prancing Arabian Stallion). 

Tto collectors, it's seriuous business.  To me, it's just mass-produced plastic horses, with maximum mileage got out of each mold. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Tto collectors, it's seriuous business.  To me, it's just mass-produced plastic horses, with maximum mileage got out of each mold. 

Well I think the stunning beauty of the craftsmanship is unsurpassed stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

And you'll be sure to keep that next appointment with the optometrist, promise?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I believe your flea bitten grey is just discolored from events during it's life. I am a shameless Breyer person because I had many as a child and they trigger a childhood feel. I collect the older ones and am familiar with how light colored ones can discolor with age sometimes. Also the rosy roan color you made reference to was a one of painting for a festival so there would only be one and some collector has it in a highly prized place on a shelf for sure. It would be worth a shocking amount of money for a plastic horse.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you "argon38", I did find this very helpful.

Much appreciated!
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Same mold, many horses:

http://www.identifyyourbreyer.com/identify/Sham.htm

And, yes, just as you say, it shows there was only one Rosy Rabicano Roan horse ever made, for sale at the BreyerFest auction.  Apparently what is auctioned are some especially made for the auction, some that are test models or test colors, and so on --  in other words, only one to maybe a few hundred in existence.   There are also a few special edition runs for the auctions, limited to the low thousands. 

My hat is off to the marketing geniuses at Breyer. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

1. not a roan, just a gray. Looks like an older piece.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply