cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gorgeous mid century opaque pale green bowl - please help identify manufacturer!

I'm totally in love with the color of this mid century bowl. It is an opaque pale green that is exquisitely sculpted (IMO.)  No clue, however, as to manufacturer or exact type of bowl/glass/design or decade (other than that it's mid-century at earliest.)

Will you please help me to identify it?

TIA

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER
19 REPLIES 19

Gorgeous mid century opaque pale green bowl - please help identify manufacturer!

That bowl and the words mid-century are not technically correct. There are lots of traditional glass mfs who might have made it but the style is traditional rather than mid-century.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@sonomabarn67  Not sure I understand what you're saying.  The bowl is at least as old as the 70s if not earlier due to the existence of it 40+ years ago as part of my relative's estate.  Not sure where/how she acquired it before it passed to me but I've never known the manufacturer and would like to know.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@argon38  You've helped me many times!  Thank you sincerely.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

And thank you for allowing me to put you straight on your bowl as well. Do you now  know the difference between mid-century and, oh never mind.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

The only direct indicator I've found as to the date of manufacture is this listing here - the seller said theirs was 1970s (from a mark on the base):

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-fenton-vaseline-yellow-401228547 

If the OP wants to post a straight-on close-up photo of any marking on the base, one of the glass experts on the board might be able to verify the date from their experience.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

And thank you for allowing me to put you straight on your bowl as well. Do you now  know the difference between mid-century and, oh never mind.

I don't think the OP maintains that it's a mid-century style, just that it was made around that time.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I was at the mercy of what they wrote in the title of the thread "Gorgeous mid century..."

It really made me think they thought it was mid-century. Literally, I was following the breadcrumbs laid out in the title and tried to help.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

I was at the mercy of what they wrote in the title of the thread "Gorgeous mid century..."

It really made me think they thought it was mid-century.

"Gorgeous mid century" bowl, not "Gorgeous mid century style" bowl.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

OP seems to have a good take on the lingo used to ID their listings for sale so I'm surprised they would make the error you suggest. Maybe tossing in a few keywords on the thread title produces more views just like in composing listings. Seems that happens quite often on ebay. Also. I would wager that showing that bowl to 1000 dealers would not have one say it is mid-century. It is a term, as far as I know, that was born of ebay and used by sellers to upsell their merch.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

OP seems to have a good take on the lingo used to ID their listings for sale so I'm surprised they would make the error you suggest.

I don't see it as an error at all, I just think you didn't catch OP's intended meaning, and they didn't catch yours. You're both talking at cross-purposes. Here's how I read the dialogue:

OP: Bowl dates from the mid-20th century at the earliest.

Sonoma: Woah, you're wrong, it's in a traditional style!

OP: But I know it's 40 years old, at least.

Sonoma: Can't you take a correction?

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Ok, thanks for your input. My reference to mid-century was that I knew it had to be at least 40 years old because my step-mother acquired it before 1980. So mid-century, in my mind, would be 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.  I welcome others' information about what is mid-century.

As soon as @argon38 identified it, I did a search here on eBay and found a dozen sellers offering the identical bowl.   It isn't my intention to sell it; I only wanted to know the manufacturer and decade; I inherited a lot of stuff mostly from the 20s through the 70s.  It turns out, according to this seller, this piece was manufactured from 1971 to 1985. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fenton-Custard-Satin-Oval-Pinwheel-Comport-No-8427-CA/223464551588?...

Your assumption that I mis-used verbiage in my title to draw in folks who otherwise would be disinterested in not something I do.  I come to Community only for help about what I don't know, not to trick anyone.

Thanks again for responding.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

This is silly. Take a look at her listings. She knows what the term mid century means on ebay.

And what is this word salad?

"OP: Bowl dates from the mid-20th century at the earliest.

Sonoma: Woah, you're wrong, it's in a traditional style!

OP: But I know it's 40 years old, at least.

Sonoma: Can't you take a correction?

"

Many people come here to ask questions and call their item something it is not in the process, I did it myself on my dino thread. But when I was corrected, I moved on. That bowl is a hundred miles from what mid century is about and it begged to be corrected.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 

Actually, this seller identifies the piece as having been manufactured only from 1972 to 1977.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fenton-Art-Glass-Custard-Satin-Comport-Pinwheel-Pattern-8227-1972-7...

Message 15 of 20
latest reply