cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counterfeit Morgan Dollars selling on eBay right NOW!

I've tried for two days now to warn every Morgan dollar collector on eBay about this and don't know of any other way. I've called eBay several times and proved this listing are in CLEAR violation and the Morgan dollars are Fake but they are not doing anything and people are buying these dollars at $190 each but they are fakes and worth NOTHING!!! The listing violates selling rules because it lists the item location as Cleveland, OH when in reality if you buy one it will be shipped from CHINA!! There is even a YuTube vidoe out there showing you how they are casting these coins to look real and this seller is selling them like hotcakes! Please if you or anyone you know buys raw (not slabbed graded) Morgan dollars on eBay PLEASE tell them to stay away from these auctions. All of the items listed are the exact same price which in collectables world it is impossible, he also always has 4 available of some of the hardest to find mint strikes and they are ALWAYS $189.99 plus $2.45 S/H. This is not only going to hurt the new collector but also spread the fear of buying which will hurt the pockets of real and honest coin dealers on eBay. EBay apparently is not willing to listen and this seller is adding new listing daily as previous ones are sold quickly to unsuspected buyers like myself. They also advertise a 14 day refund but tell you to return the coin to CHINA and pay the return shipping. You will never see a dime of that money. I know that you are still protected by eBay's policy but these FAKE Morgans will be resold over and over until it is discovered that they are fake. By then the reputation of honest sellers will be tarnish forever. Please let eBay know that knowing about a rule violation as well as the possibility of counterfit currency being sold at their site and doing nothing about it sends the wrong message to the eBay community and it is surely not cool! Thanks fo your time.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey Lynn I fully agree with you but these listings were covered with red flags that eBay could easily see:

1. The listing showed Cleveland, OH but the items were being shipped from China

2. These were some of the hardest to find Morgan dollars and not only he was listing them, every one he always had 4 and all listed at the exact same price.

Anyway good news! I was not crazy, regardless of why, eBay got on it and this is the outcome so far:

1. The account was a real one but taken over by a third party.

2. EBay quickly removed all listings. Even if you bought one like I did, the item you bought no longer shows under your purchased items.

3. A full blown fraud investigation is underway. I received an email from eBay asking me to please cooperate with authorities if I was asked.  

4. EBay is working on refunds for about 14 buyers ( me included)

5. These fake Morgan's should not work their way through eBay and collections and that's a win in my book. 

Have a great day 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Thank you for the warning. eBay is notorious for doing nothing. I have reported several sellers for openly disregarding their policies and they seem to say 'buyer beware'. Well, I will. I may just stop buying Morgan's on EBay for awhile.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

" I have reported several sellers for openly disregarding their policies and they seem to say 'buyer beware'. "

--------

eBay can't be sure if everyone who calls making claims about someone else selling counterfeits

is accurate or not.  They could be a competitor trying to harm another sellers listing....

So

eBay primarily relies on the Money Back Guarantee for buyers, so it's not "buyer beware"

If a buyer receives a fake, they can get refunded through the MBG.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

OP - I've send you a message.  Check your messages here on the boards.  🙂

Caped~
The information and writing contained in this post is the property of the named Ebay user who retains sole and exclusive rights without limitation which may not be granted to another without written permission.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Hey Lynn I fully agree with you but these listings were covered with red flags that eBay could easily see:

1. The listing showed Cleveland, OH but the items were being shipped from China

2. These were some of the hardest to find Morgan dollars and not only he was listing them, every one he always had 4 and all listed at the exact same price.

Anyway good news! I was not crazy, regardless of why, eBay got on it and this is the outcome so far:

1. The account was a real one but taken over by a third party.

2. EBay quickly removed all listings. Even if you bought one like I did, the item you bought no longer shows under your purchased items.

3. A full blown fraud investigation is underway. I received an email from eBay asking me to please cooperate with authorities if I was asked.  

4. EBay is working on refunds for about 14 buyers ( me included)

5. These fake Morgan's should not work their way through eBay and collections and that's a win in my book. 

Have a great day 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Yeah Counterfeit money is a whole different ball game. These can still be used as currency so its literally a case for the FBI. If eBay didn't cooperate they would be an accessory.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Right now there are 2 1895 P Morgan Dollars selling on eBay for less than $300. I reported one because you can plainly see the mint mark was ground or cut off. In poor condition they are around $28,000 if legit.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I would contact the department of Justice / Treasurer in your city. you will need one of these Morgan Dollars as proof. This is a Federal Crime and eBay tends to listen when shown a Federal Badge. Good Luck to you.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Morgan dollars may, in fact, fall under counterfieting laws, since, technically, they are still legal tender and have a face value of $1.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply