cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clock Works

We picked this clock works item up from sidewalk estate "free" stuff. At the same address a week before we picked up a hollow grandfather clock case that is slightly incomplete and probably handmade. I know nothing about clocks. My questions:

First, is it reasonable to assume from looking at the works and the photo of the case that they were meant to go together? The works would fit comfortably into the top opening of the clock case.

Second, would the set or just the works be worth anything to anybody? I see no maker marks on it; is it possible that the owner constructed the works himself? How can I tell if the works are complete and just waiting for a face?

So many questions! 😉 All responses will be appreciated. Thanks.

Clock Works 001.JPG

Clock Works 009.JPG

Grandfather Cloc 001.JPG

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Clock Works

This is a Self Winding clock Co. movement. The electric motor was started by a trip switch inside the movement plates and it wound a heavy weight. The weight droping down ran the clock.  In the front view you can see a very frayed brass wire on the right side this probably went up over a pulley and then down the side of the clock.

All of the other wires most likely were connected to a number of slave clocks maybe in a school or factory. Pendulum would usually be about 3 feet long and could have been mercury filled for accuracy. It probably would fit your case  but you need a lot of other parts to make it work. Could be of interest to specificate collectors. Try the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors at  WWW.NAWCC.org or dot net and go to the electric clock section.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 16 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Clock Works

The tag on the motor says "General Electric."  A web search on "General Electric grandfather clocks," shows GE made and sold various models, so perhaps someone intended to use the old GE works in a new do-it-yourself case...?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

It is a routine anchor escapement pendulum movement with a mass of electrical gubbins added on that I could probably work out if I had it in hand but cannot figure out from the pictures.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

Wow! Thanks for that. So, if I can find a clock repair place they can tell me if they think it's in working condition. Yes? 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

I suspect it is not exactly a clock movement as such but some form of electro-mechanical process timer or controller, possibly with an electric rewind provision.

There are too many unexplained wheels on the backplate to be sure how it works.

I am quirte sure it has nothing to do with the clock case, that was probably for some other project.

As a clock person I would have bought the thing if it was quite cheap just to figure out what it all does. In 30 years I have never seen similar.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

Interesting. Maybe I'll list it. It's so heavy, though. Would need really good packaging. Should I unmark your previous comment as the solution?
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

I found this quite interesting:

A General Electric Clock requires no attention on your part. You simply plug it into any regulated A.C. circuit... and forget it. Each General Electric Clock is self-starting. Each is Telechron Motored... synchronized with the master clock at the local power station which is regulated by comparison with Radio Time Signals from the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington. No springs to wind, no escapement to oil or repair, no pendulum to require a level clock base. Utmost simplicity... exact time always.

If you Google "1931 General Electric Clock Ad" you'll find the above quote (unfortunately I can't provide a direct link).

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

Oh, and check out this site:

http://www.telechron.net/main.htm

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

Lots of technical info here about Telechron motors:

http://telechronclock.com/

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

This is not a synchronus clock. It has a pendulum, now missing, and a dead beat escapement. Nothing relevant to synchronous movements applies to this movement. The electric gubbins apears secondary to the timekeeping function.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

@afantiques wrote:

This is not a synchronus clock. It has a pendulum, now missing, and a dead beat escapement. Nothing relevant to synchronous movements applies to this movement. The electric gubbins apears secondary to the timekeeping function.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying that. Apologies to the OP for the unintentional misinformation.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

Hmmmm....  Elaborate timing mechanism for an infernal machine...??   I never did know anything about clocks and figure it's too late to learn, but I do have a dandy and handy new word:  GUBBINS.   Thanks for that one.

Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

Not an infernal machine, the pendulum would have been more than a foot long and possibly a 3 foot seconds pendulum, looking at the escapement. All the best infernal machines have a balance wheel escapement like a carriage clock. 😉

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

Regarding your statement "some form of electro-mechanical process timer or controller", should I put additional tags on this to get opinions from non-clock people?

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Clock Works

People like this sort of thing for the making of "steam punk" art, should you have problems selling it for what it is. Do a search on ebay and you'll see listings for some such items.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply