cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asian antique or arts crafts art nouveau

I was told this is a Temple censer.

it looks like turn of century art nouveau hammered copper jardenaire with iron pedestal with copper panels.

no markings so far as I can tell.

thank you for taking a look DF196B0F-935A-4B7B-8A7E-25B66CCD8F58.jpeg

117D4E47-29D3-42D7-A76E-1769A5F7AC1C.jpeg

A8ED04FE-CBC2-4C38-9788-889DDFD49B71.jpeg

BC42DB33-C52D-48CF-9F8E-0D55B7E74591.jpeg

432C4391-178D-4CCE-82BD-CD5D861D1F5C.jpeg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

That most certainly looks like a marriage.  One giveaway being that the two elements share no design elements and, while it fits, the pot looks extremely uncomfortable (proportionately) on the base.  My advice -- FWIW -- would be to research each element separately.

Debora

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

The base looks more like a plant stand to me and the urn looks like more refined work than the bottom piece, in my opinion. They look good together, but they may not have started out that way.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Pure art nouveau,fantastic ! Id research these carefully,it could be a "name".

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Maybe so, but the top fits perfectly into base & with the copper panels I’m guessing it is original together. 

Bought from fancy southern estate sale in Georgia. Estate organizer stated he saw photos of the piece in early photographs 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thank you, I plan on doing more research. I paid quite a bit for it just on a hunch, but felt like you do that it is very special!
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

"the top fits perfectly into base & with the copper panels I’m guessing it is original together. "

If you feel that is the case then I think you can safely rule outTemple censer. To me the stand is of a distinctly Western form, I've never seen an Asian antique like that. Not an expert, just some thoughts to further the conversation.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The base looks like Vienna Secessionist, so looking at Austrian sources might be in order.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

there are no design motifs in the pot that are mirrored in the base.  I do not believe they are meant to go together.  Could be austrian, german, belgian, british, italian, even US.  This style was used in many places early 20th century.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Yes, but always a good idea to track back to the source of a design and Austria was a hotbed of similar first designs early on.

Agree that this is an old marriage though.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

That most certainly looks like a marriage.  One giveaway being that the two elements share no design elements and, while it fits, the pot looks extremely uncomfortable (proportionately) on the base.  My advice -- FWIW -- would be to research each element separately.

Debora

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you Debora
Message 11 of 11
latest reply