cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique frame mirror art cactus

I found this at the flea market. The frame is heavy wood. The mirror has green foil cacti and a moon back decoration. I'm not sure what to call this? How old? No signature. Measures appx 19x9

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I'd call it a piece of "Southwest decor." 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I'd call it a piece of "Southwest decor." 

And (I should have been clearer) not antique.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thank you
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If it were mine, I'd remove the mirror (which looks to be easy with those screws in the back) and sell the frame, which to me looks like it may have been hand-carved.

I'd remove the back anyway, just to make sure there's not hidden treasure back there.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

So, I took your suggestion and removed the mirror from the frame. It is very interesting! I agree that the frame is old and hand made. But the mirror is also old. The decor is fiberglass and hand applied to the back of this mirror. I believe it is mid century modern art. Check out the new photos. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Well, the mirror is just a mirror, and that slab the whole this is sitting on looks like a piece of plywood (from what I can tell by your photos.

The frame itself is what is interesting (to me); and I wouldn't call any of it MCM. More like "vintage hand-carved". A search on ebay brings up quite a few listings for this sort of thing. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about packing a mirror so it wouldn't break when the mail carriers throw it around with wild abandon, as they do despite "Fragile" warnings.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

The mirror is old. I did the flame trick and possibly from the 60's. I think the stylized cactus and the moon are unique. You can see the hand drawn design on the back. Art is in the eye of the beholder. I will just list it and hope for the best. Thank you!
Message 9 of 9
latest reply