cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amber bead necklace

Is this amber? Glow's under blacklight. Very old clasp. Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Amber bead necklace

You know that people are going to want crisp & clear macro shots, right?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Amber bead necklace

Absolutely no way to tell from your photograph. 

Does it look like amber to you?  I mean, do you see natural irregularities, tiny bubbles, inclusions of any sort that you expect to see in tree sap? 

Does it smell like amber to you?  I mean, when you rub it until it's warm, do you get faint smell of natural resin, of tree sap, sort of a pine-y smell?

Does it feel like amber to you?  I mean, is it warm? (Yes, I know that some plastics feel warm, too, at least in comparison to glass.)

Does it take a charge?  I mean, if you rub it vigrously on wool does it build up static electricity to the point that it will pick up a strand of your hair, say, or a tiny scrap of paper?  (Yes, some plastics will do this, too.)

I'm not going to go into the whole specific gravity thing because I dont think you want to put this in water.

Anyhow, is there something besides the color and the glow under blacklight that makes hyou think this is amber?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Amber bead necklace

Are your beads perfectly clear all the way around, or do they have color variations, bubbles, darker spots of color here and there?  I can't tell from your photo, but if they do have those spots of color and bubbles, it could be amber.  If you're not sure, check out some faceted amber beads here on ebay so you can see up-close what most amber looks like.  You can always take them to a local bead store in your area. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply