cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am seeking help identifying maker / designer of Mid century / Deco Dining Room Set

An old school friend stopped by the other day and we got to talking about my dining room set. He thought it was art deco and I thought maybe it was that or mid century / modern furniture. At least that is one of the reasons I bought it. Anyway, he got me to wondering and we sat down and perused the internet for almnost the whole day and couldn't find another example of this stuff. The closest thing was maybe Heywood Wakefield but ten again, we could not find anything remotely like this set.  It has no markings or labels anywhere that I have ever seen. The table has six legs and they have curved bracers on them. There is a leaf in the middle of the table that pops up when the table is opened. The bar and buffet have hidden compartments in the back bottom of the piece so you can hide documents and stuff. Cool set but I have no idea about it. Any knowledgable furniture folks out there that wants to educate me, "Thank you in advance!" (I included a picture of the set in my dining room. I don't have any photos of separate pieces. I'm not even certain of it's age but I'd say about the 40's to 70's mayhaps?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Am seeking help identifying maker / designer of Mid century / Deco Dining Room Set

There is a cup rack in the smaller piece and a silverware drawer in the other so, it's not bedroom furniture.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Looks like 1980's contemporary to me - neither mid-century nor Deco.   Could be late 70's.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Not possible to be sure from photographs but I would agree that -- at a glance -- 1980s.  Upholstery and all.

Debora

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Your furniture is Burl or birds eye maple.  which would be the question of if it was veneer , or actually the solid wood type.   If veneered, which i doubt for a dinning table, would be newer productions, and if solid burl an older or very highend furniture manufacturer of rare quality works.  Most the burl and birds eye maple furniture makers are in the northern states and california.  

Its not Art Deco. 

as for the fabrics, this could be refurbished aspect of the set, not sure of the fabric type or its sources. but the wood tells me a great deal.  If solid burl or birds eye woods on this table, then your looking earlier years then 1960.  burl type designed furniture was extremely popular in the 40/50 era.  If Veneered woods, then 60's later era. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

This anonymous dining set is from the late 1980's or 1990's and they were sold in department stores like The Broadway, JC Penney, etc. or other small furniture stores. It's better to include photos of the underside when asking the community to estimate the manufacturing date. The burl is looks veneered and there's probably plywood or particle board underneath. The bar and buffet are not related to the dining set but the china cabinet might (compare the woods). The drawers on the bar and buffet are large for being dining room furniture so they were probably built as bedroom furniture.  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'm in the process of taking other pics of the set as I get tio their undersides and stuff.  They will/should be posted later. Every piece in the set does go together. It is a matched set. The corner shelf is not part of the set, it is a lone piece made of pine. Thank you for everyones imput and I hope to identify it some before I actually put it out there on the market. Keep it coming.  🙂

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Here is a picture of behind the top drawer of the china cabinette. There is penciled writing that says something that looks like _ _ _ Leon (or Lion) Table Co. I can't tell for certain.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

There is a cup rack in the smaller piece and a silverware drawer in the other so, it's not bedroom furniture.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@benchmark99 wrote:

Here is a picture of behind the top drawer of the china cabinette. There is penciled writing that says something that looks like _ _ _ Leon (or Lion) Table Co. I can't tell for certain.

Possibly the Red Lion Table Co. (Red Lion, PA)?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply