cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About done ........

Just opened the upteenth post with giant sideways pictures that won't load and lock up my computer.  Questioners also do not provide enough information in their titles to guage what they are asking about.  As a result, I am about done helping out here any more.  If something really piques my interest I'll have a look but, as for general help,  I am done.  Just a shame since the boards here used to be a great place. Smiley Sad

Be sure to look your gift horse in the mouth when receiving help.
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

About done ........

yeah, if you right click on the image and then click on view image, it displays correct.  I believe it is a problem between cell phone pic downloads and ebay. 

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

I think it is a sizing issue which could be corrected by the host but it is not a priority.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

@md1919 wrote:

yeah, if you right click on the image and then click on view image, it displays correct.  I believe it is a problem between cell phone pic downloads and ebay. 

True, but that's still something the poster can correct.  But the problem isn't just the orientation.  If it were, I doubt Brad would complain, and nor would I. 

I have fairly whizz-bang hardware,  a nice stable Linux operating system, and just about the highest internet speed available, and it can still take an eternity to load people's HUGE photos. 

Then, besides being upside down or sideways, these HUGE cluttered, uncropped pictures are unfocused, badly lit, and the tones and colors are totally out of whack.  I have Polaroid snapshots from 1965 that are better quality. 

As if all that weren't enough to try one's patience, as often as not, some element vital to identification is not even included in the photo(s). 

There is no excuse for this, and posting such pictures implies a kind of contempt for others and for their time.

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

@redpix12 wrote:

I think it is a sizing issue which could be corrected by the host but it is not a priority.

Yes, the previous company that ran the boards designed things to that one simply could not post gigantic pictures.  But, again, orientation and size are not the only problems, not by a long shot.  I've been using these boards from the very beginning, and I have never seen anything like the current situation, where so many of the pictures posted are garbage.

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

I'm not sure if it's the computer

or the speed of your internet provider.

I have Comcast cable..

never takes more than 15 seconds to load even a HUGE page of multiple large pictures here

and my  old Win 7 never crashes during it..

even with half a dozen other windows open.

fwiw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

I just googled: Internet Speed Test

I selected the speedtest.infinity result

(is that only available to Comcast customers like me?)

Results: 

My Download speed  30 megabytes per second

Upload speed 6 megabytes per second.

fwiw

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

Please don't go - your knowledge would be missed!

I've always thought it would be great if there was a constant post, af the top of all the boards, with instructions about how to post question and proper photos - with screen shots or a video. So many people are clueless and I think it would help ... a little bit anyway. And also explain to them how to find their posts again - there are so many posters who have no idea folks have responded ... it's such a waste.

Well, I know it won't happen ... but it's my 2¢.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

It's not my connection, my machine, or me.  Well, maybe it is me -- because I think 15 seconds is a long, long time to load an image.  It's far too long to wait for what will probably turn out to be poor quality pictures -- because people who won't take the time to resize and orient, usually didn't take the time to get a good photo in the first place.

And while I'm being gumpy and unpleasant, I'll add this:  I can't get over the fact that many of these "offenders," along with a fair number who can't figure out how to post a photo at all, are young.  I'm old enough to remember cave bears and saber-toothed cats, and I can figure out this stuff.

Harrummmpphh!

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

Yeah, same here Lynn ... I never have problems with huge photos with high-speed xfinity connection ... but they're still exceedingly annoying.
Message 10 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

@trollmama wrote:
Yeah, same here Lynn ... I never have problems with huge photos with high-speed xfinity connection ... but they're still exceedingly annoying.

"Exceedingly annoying" is it.  As I said, to me 15 seconds is a long, long time to load.  More than that is agony.  The monstrous pictures don't hang up, freeze, crash, or in any way mangle my computer.  The unncessary load time just annoys me exceedingly.

Harrummphhhhh!

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

#1 problem is CELL PHONE CAMERAS!!!!!!!!!!!! No one knows how to take a picture with a CAMERA anymore. They don't know how to size the pic once taken and...they don't care. They all use their cell phone cameras and their attitude is "I took the photo, you guys figure it out."  Sorry, but the cat is out of the bag and we are ALL doomed. As the soup guy on Seinfeld said "No soup for you!"  

We could all band together and not answer the posts that don't take the minimal effort to size their photos, but as I said, this is not our problem, the host needs to step up and fix the problem.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

I have a slow windows laptop (low ram), a decent windows desktop, and a high end mac w/ decent 50 mb down/up speed, and I have never waited more then 2-10 seconds for a post to load. Granted, a post with small low res pics will load instantaneously, but I never really understood when people would complain about the size of the pics. I assumed they were looking at the posts from their phone without wifi, but on a desktop you shouldn't be having that problem with high speed internet. I download 2 gb files/movies in 30 secs to a minute. I would run a speed test and contact your ISP b/c you shouldn't be having those issues with computers/internet today. How old is your computer if you don't mind me asking?

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

Dell Optiplex 9020.  Linux OS.  ComCast Xfinity, top tier.  Wired ether-net (rather than Wi-Fi) for faster speeds, lower latency, lack of wireless interference problems, and greater security. 

I got my first computer in 1982, and after 34 years of using computers at home and at work, I know my way around the technology pretty well.  And I married a sysop.  I check download/upload speeds routinely and everything is as it should be.  So unless I'm hallucinating in this case, I think you can take what I said about my experiences with slow loading as given. If it's something you never experience, that's great.

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

About done ........

I check through just about every post daily, and have never thought 'why did this person post such big photos' primarily because it has never caused me any issues. I am definitely responsible for some of your frustrations because I know I have at many times posted large pictures. Now that I see that it is causing you problems I will try to make mine smaller, but I was trying to get a little bit of incite as to why it was an issue for you, but not for others like myself. I do get what you are saying about the bad photos because I do see a lot of those, but wait time isn't bad for me. 

I may just be desensitized to this, though. I remember the days of dial up and I would literally wait 30+ minutes for a picture to load so for me a few seconds is nothing Smiley Very Happy 

Message 15 of 39
latest reply