cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 ETCHING 1887 "BOOK" - ETCHINGS OF BAR HARBOR by H.R. BLANEY - AUTHENTIC?

I found this while cleaning out my mom's storage unit - it is a book? porfolio? - It is a folder type exterior with inserts of 4 etchings, a description page before each etching, a page/insert describing the etching process, and a title page with each etching's name + 'Copyright 1887 W.W. Davis' on the back of it.

It is titled Etchings of Bar Harbor by H.R. Blaney. It's dated 1887 and each etching is pencil signed by Blaney. Goggling it shows individual etchings in museum's possesion - I can't find this book/porfolio anywhere.

Is it really from 1887 (I didn't know they would individually pencil sign their work back then)?

Was it made for sale/Is it rare?

Any hel with this would be greatly appreciated - I'm wondering if I should keep together or frame each seperately?

Thanks!

Trying to be the person my dogs always knew I could be
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

There are a few listings for the book online but no real descriptions so it's hard to tell if they are like yours or are reprints with reproduced etchings.  I found no listing on Worldcat, but here is a link to the website showing an auction sale of 3 of the etchings framed, but you will need to ask someone with a subscription to get the sale price.  The framed etchings were most likely detached from the same book as you have, which was probably published in a very limited edition.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/henry-robertson-blaney-american-b-1855-three-314-c-zgfvg65m2d

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Here is the description of the book on World Cat

http://www.worldcat.org/title/etchings-of-bar-harbor/oclc/84654410&referer=brief_results

There is an ex-librray listed by one seller on the main selling sites for around $25.00.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The author also did etchings of Old Boston which includes 35 etchings.  The asking price for this work is between $40-90.

HIs work, The Golden Caribbean, is selling for the same price as the Boston book.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply