cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1813 ANTIQUE NAVAL PLAQUE "LAWRENCE"

I have this antique plaque from 1813 associated with the Admiral Perry flagship the Lawrence.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lawrence_(1813)

My mother said something to the effect that it hung over the Admiral's official room, but I can't substantiate that. Any help would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: 1813 ANTIQUE NAVAL PLAQUE "LAWRENCE"

Two thoughts, it looks like plywood from the way it is splitting and two, the font does not look to me to be from  c.1813. Maybe from a much later exhibit.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Potential buyers will have a lot of questions, but for openers: 

Why would the name of the ship hang over the Admiral's room?  Or anyone's room?  I don't know of this as a common practice.

Why would a ship as fine as The Lawrence have such a crude sign anywhere aboard her?  Yes, she was quickly built, but she was well built.

Since she was commissioned in 1813, sunk (deliberately) in 1815, and not raised until 1875, who could have got hold of this, when;  there has to be a story that goes with it, if it's legit.

P.s.  I live not far from Presque Isle, so I know this ship's story fairly well.   Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Very good logic, thanks.  So this was possibly a naval exhibit, the family got the plaque somehow, not sure what it was from.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Does this item have any provenance? That includes, how did it come into your possession and any information on where the previous owner obtained it? These are the kinds of questions Maxine alluded to. How long have you had it? For a historical item to be taken seriously, these questions and more, have to be answered.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It's been in the family since the 1950s, not sure before that.  Lots of Navy people in the family, it could have been a display where my father was given it.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@nutmegnumismatics wrote:

It's been in the family since the 1950s, not sure before that.  Lots of Navy people in the family, it could have been a display where my father was given it.

That's quite interesting, but you need a lot more than that to pin it down.  Keep asking family members until you get some verifiable information.  People here will be glad to help, but we need you to give us specifics.  Happy detecting!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Any connection of the Navy people to the ship? Great, great ,great grandfather, etc.  What are the oldest photos/ letters of these people that you have? All these pesky questions add up to answering your question.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You might search the photo records of the The Centennial International Exhibition of 1876 as sections of the ship were exhibited there. Plywood was available at that time. Can you confirm it to be plywood or a solid board as you have it in hand?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

No one knows.  Father died 20 years ago.  Cousin is a former Navy captain in WI but I doubt that side of family has any connection to it but will ask.  Mother seemed to think it was historical.  I had a numismatic friend maybe connected to one of the TV cable programs ask about it 20 years ago from a poloroid and he said no known provenance.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply