cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Nickel 1940S Circulation 'Find'...

19 Febrero 2018 - Greetings fellow coin collectors, where-ever you may be?

On 17 Febrero 2018, elHeron received in change at the 'checkout' counter at the local Super-Mercado a 1940S USA Nickel.   This is probably the 'oldest' USA coin Heron has received in change in about 15 or 16 years, mas o menos.  

Only one problema with this coin... although it has no major dings or scratches, it has been worn down to about something less than Fine grade. 

Heron estimates that it could be worth 20 or 25 Centavos USA currency.

Any comentarios as to value?

If not, Heron will return it to circulation and let someone else 'find  it'.

Regardos.   

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I also put low grade older coins in circulation, such as: wheat cents, Indian head cents, buffalo nickles, etc

I know it will make someones day.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

you know as well as i that true value is only what someone is willing to pay...

i think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone to pay you more than 5 cents...

maybe 7 or 8 cents in a 2x2... LOL

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

21 Feb 2018 - Well, Heron thought that his 'circulation find' might be worth about 25 Cents US because there is a listing on eBay where-in the seller is asking $1.30 for a

1940S Nickel in about the same grade as Heron's.   In this situation Heron will return this 1940S Nickel back into circulation.   Maybe some-one will find it and keep it?  

Quien Sabe?

Regardos.     

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I used to search rolls of nickels for finds like these, I have 8 or 10 rolls of pre-1960 Nickels.  One local dealer used to have a cigar box full, he'd sell them for 10¢ each, I'd search those too since he'd throw EF/AU coins into it, and I found some '38/'39-D & S in it more than once. 

I rolled up a few with 40 different once, and paired them with a used Whitman folder and offered them as an instant beginner collector gift item. 

Old Jefferson nickels turn up regularly still, I think I get more than most people because coin shops throw them in the register to make change with.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Shopping at the local farmers market the other day, I picked up a Buffalo nickel off the ground. Like me on a Friday night, dateless. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

maybe some nic-a-date would help...

try some on the nickel too...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply