cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Searching

i've been thinking about it for a number of years, and i finally ordered a box of half dollars... i'll pick it up Thursday afternoon...

anticipation... silver, proofs, who knows...

hopefully in 1000 coins there'll be SOMETHING other than mixed clad halves...

anybody have roll search stories?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Roll Searching

they came in a sealed box... 50 shotgun rolls wrapped by a well known company...

i weighed each roll, and except for one (which was slightly less than the others) they all weighed within a gram of each other (between about 110 and 111 grams) so i'm not going to break any of them open... if there were silver in any of them, the difference would be greater...

now to decide to spend or list...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Roll Searching

I never searched rolls, but several years ago when I was collecting currency, I would get $100 worth of singles from the bank to look for star notes. My eyes lit up every time I found one. I saved them until the "Great Housing Bust" and got laid off from work. Then I traded them for brewskis.  grin

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

i used to stash away star notes as well... i think i had close to $500 (including a $100) at one point... i finally spent them a bit at a time...

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

20 de Junio 2018:  Searching rolls of coins.   Heron never searched rolls of coins. However, he did bring back to the USofA several dozen rolls of Canada Nitchels.  One a the family wanted to search rolls of Canadian Nitchels.   Heron remembers that one roll contained a Nitchel of King Geo V.    This apparently stirred a bit of excitement for the searcher.   Heron hisself was never much interested in coins of Canada.   Although the Totem Dollar coin of B.C. was interesting.  

Regardos.   

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

they came in a sealed box... 50 shotgun rolls wrapped by a well known company...

i weighed each roll, and except for one (which was slightly less than the others) they all weighed within a gram of each other (between about 110 and 111 grams) so i'm not going to break any of them open... if there were silver in any of them, the difference would be greater...

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

Yeah, modern coin slot mechanisms and high speed counting machines can discriminate based on the metalic signature, and the silver sifted out is a tasty bonus to the money counters. 

We have banks here that provide account holders coin sorting / counting machines that retain the coins but provide a deposit slip for ATM depositing to an account.  Empty a big bag of mixed coins in and any washers or forign coins get spat out.

The Banks would be smart to keep the silver ones [counted as the denomination they are but sorted into a 'special' bin] rather than return to user as a 'reject'.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

@*smedley* wrote:

A lot of those I've come across were solid date BU rolls, put together by the company (whichever one), it would appear from a mint bag.   Other times though, they'd be mixed date circ. rolls.

It's been a few years since I searched any rolls of half dollars.  I'd try to get the hand wrapped rolls, coins that customers had brought in and deposited at the bank branch.  That would sometimes yield an occasional 1964 and/or 40% halves.  Maybe a decade or so ago, the bank told me someone had brought in a bunch of rolls, and asked if I wanted any.  I think I bought 10, and noticed they had a date written on the wrapper (all '70s and '80s).  I asked if there were any with '60s or earlier dates, and ended up with 2 rolls of all 40% silver. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

@ted_200 wrote:

@*smedley* wrote:

A lot of those I've come across were solid date BU rolls, put together by the company (whichever one), it would appear from a mint bag.   Other times though, they'd be mixed date circ. rolls.

these are all mixed date circ rolls... a couple of the end coins were higher end AU, but all the exposed dates were 20th century...

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

You won't find anything in the boxes. You need connections with a local bank that will hold rolls for you when they are cashed in. Friend of mine got eight rolls from his bank. All Walkers and Franklins. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

I got a box of halves the other day. Here is what I found:IMG_0365.JPGIMG_0366.JPGIMG_0367.JPG

https://bio.link/langs
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

I prefer to skip the rolls, bags and boxes and stick to graded good condition coins.  It's not exciting, but in a couple hundred years they will be worth something.

A gift for my great great great grandchildren.  I hope I have some to give it to.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

@*coins wrote:

I got a box of halves the other day. Here is what I found:

nice...

but... i don't think that walker is real... a VF wouldn't have a date anywhere near that strong...

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Roll Searching

@*smedley* wrote:

@*coins wrote:

I got a box of halves the other day. Here is what I found:

nice...

but... i don't think that walker is real... a VF wouldn't have a date anywhere near that strong...

It weighs in right and passed the ring test... 🙂

https://bio.link/langs
Message 13 of 13
latest reply