cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real or Counterfeit Coins?

Hello everyone,

Im only interested if this two pieces are authentic or counterfeit. If they are authentic I'm interested in their value. I see color deviation on them. (Like they were colored in silver, but under is copper or something similar) Thank you for your time.

Blaž

IMG_20180316_165905 (2).jpgIMG_20180316_165928 (2).jpgIMG_20180316_165949 (2).jpgIMG_20180316_170006 (2).jpgIMG_20180316_170019 (2).jpgIMG_20180316_170032 (2).jpg

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Can not be 100% sure, but my gut feeling they are fake tourist souvenirs.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

look at the edges... if you see a seam, such as two pieces being fastened together would leave, they're fake...

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I have to believe they're not real, too.  The underlaying brown metal is a dead giveaway.  Plating wasn't even invented then.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

"Plating wasn't even invented then."

Actually, No.

Plated counterfeit coins, termed fourree, are known from coin hoards dating to within a few decades of the development of coinage in the west, mid-7th century BC. Counterfeiters have never been slouches. 

And these two pieces are well known tourist fakes from Greece. The first is a fake of a Roman denarius of Flaminius Chilo, popular for the portrait of Julius Caesar. The other is a tetradrachm of Alexander the Great. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Nailed it.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thanks to everyone for your time and help.

With all your information i see they are fake.

But is it allowed to sell these fakes on eBay? And if it is allowed, how much can I ask for them? 2$?

Thanks again everyone for your help and your time.

Best regards

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

you are prohibited from selling fake/counterfeit coins...

tribute coins are fine... as is selling "unknown" coins...

the definition of a tribute coin? who knows...

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

If they are not authentic, you can't sell them on eBay just because you call them a "tribute" (or any other term, like "replica", "reproduction", "copy", "imitation", etc.  Counterfeit (fake) coins are not allowed, period.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@pgh_pen wrote:

If they are not authentic, you can't sell them on eBay just because you call them a "tribute" (or any other term, like "replica", "reproduction", "copy", "imitation", etc.  Counterfeit (fake) coins are not allowed, period.

Yet the site is somehow loaded up again with 1906 dated Ellis Island and ASE Dollars again... go figure! 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

Yet the site is somehow loaded up again with 1906 dated Ellis Island and ASE Dollars again... go figure! 

well that can't be right because he said you can't sell 'em on ebay... so your search results must be fake...

the only question that remains is... did ebay fake 'em... or did YOU!?!?!?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@*smedley* wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

well that can't be right because he said you can't sell 'em on ebay... so your search results must be fake...

the only question that remains is... did ebay fake 'em... or did YOU!?!?!?

Fake search results... fake policies... it's sorta like fake news...  eBay should blame the Russians!  (even though we really know the blame is a bit further south and east...)  Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

29 Abril 2018: Some interesting stuff on that 'page'!  And cheep also!

Regardos.  

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

29 Abril 2018: Some interesting stuff on that 'page'!  And cheep also!

Regardos.  

And inexpensive too!

Just when you thought you'd seen it all... fake Hobo Nickels...  Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 15
latest reply