cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Okay to open rolled Morgan’s or leave it as full roll?

Still pretty new to coin selling.... quick question... do you leave the half dollar or dollar coins rolled or open the roll and sell individually? I see some people sell full rolls, but how do they know what’s in there? Or do they re-roll? Don’t people want the original paper used to roll? I’m so sorry.... I know these questions sound dumb, but I’m clueless about this, and I don’t want to regret it when I get ready to list more.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Open it. How would you know what you are selling is what it is suposed to be?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Open the roll and take at least 2 photographs.  The obverse side of all the coins, and the reverse,  so that the bidder/buyer knows what they are going to receive. Do not include the word "RARE" in the auction title. Any key or semi-key dates should be auctioned separately.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@two-sewing-peacocks wrote:

Still pretty new to coin selling.... quick question... do you leave the half dollar or dollar coins rolled or open the roll and sell individually? I see some people sell full rolls, but how do they know what’s in there? Or do they re-roll? Don’t people want the original paper used to roll? I’m so sorry.... I know these questions sound dumb, but I’m clueless about this, and I don’t want to regret it when I get ready to list more.

I don't know why anyone would buy an unopened roll without opening it to look at what's actually inside.  There is a market in full rolls, particularly silver dollars... mixed date rolls, solid-date BU rolls, etc.  Most BU rolls of dollars are "put together" rolls, the marginal grade coins left over after they picked the solid MS-63 or better coins out, and are priced accordingly. 

An original old roll of BU dollars with high grade coins in will sell for substantially more money, but no one is going to believe that's what is in it without seeing the coins.  More likely, on eBay, an unopened roll may contain many AU "sliders". 

Whatever it is, if you're selling it on eBay, you want pictures of the coins inside.  To do otherwise is an open invitation to have some buyer claim they were all Ike Dollars, and return same to you... something they could do anyhow, but there's no point in inviting it.  If you've got better BU coins in the roll, you'll probably get more money out of it selling them as individual coins.  An unopened roll of unseen silver dollars is a considerable risk to the buyer (even though people buy them this way)... but on eBay, buyers have no risk, which means they are a considerable risk to you, the seller.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

U.S. Mints never created rolls of Morgan Dollars. So any roll that you see of Morgan's, has already been searched thru.

Not sure if that's helpful to you or not. I'm fairly new to the coin world myself. Sooo much to learn it's awesome. Hello from Portland Oregon!!!

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

U.S. Mints never created rolls of Morgan Dollars. So any roll that you see of Morgan's, has already been searched thru.

Not sure if that's helpful to you or not. I'm fairly new to the coin world myself. Sooo much to learn it's awesome. Hello from Portland Oregon!!!

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@coinaddictz wrote:

Not sure if that's helpful to you or not. I'm fairly new to the coin world myself. Sooo much to learn it's awesome. Hello from Portland Oregon!!!

Hello Portland!

This is true.  The mint handled dollars in bags.  Rolls were put together from bags.  Prior to the 1960s, dollars weren't popular or worth a whole lot (used primarily to keep slot machines running), so nice high grade rolls of dollars exist from this period.  I suspect the number of those rolls that haven't already been picked through at least a dozen times number approximatley zero today. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

31 de Mayo 2018:  Yes, prior to the early 1960s a USA Silver Thaler was worth one paper Dollar.  Either FRN or Silver Cert.    Heron would visit a local bank and hand the 'teller' a 5 Dollar note and ask for 5 Silver Dollars.   Finally in 1959 Heron had over 200 Silver Dollars in the trunk of his autter.   However, Heron wanted to pay off the autter loan so he used most of the Silver Dollars for that purpose... in early 1960.  During that time period Heron was in the USCG and had no secure place to store a large batch of Silver Thalers.   It was too large a 'value' to be hauling around in the trunk of an autter.   

And now we have 'tokens' to use for 'change' here in the USofA.  A sad situation indeed!  

Regardos.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

And now we have 'tokens' to use for 'change' here in the USofA.  A sad situation indeed!  

Yep.  Poor old Abe and George went from beautiful three dimensional renderings akin to a sculpture... to being a primative one-dimentional line drawing stamped into a piece of scrap metal.  If the relief got any flatter, they'd have to put braille dots on them so blind people would know what they were! 

I did get a silver quarter in change at the gas station recently!  It's neat how the different sound of the handful of change alerted me to it immediately. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I use United States fiat money to repay my auto loan, and just about every other debt and purchase. It is backed by our 'faih' in our government.    Snort !     grin

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

4 de Junio 2018:  Yes, and elHeron also uses the 'fiat money' to buy gasolina, buy fajitas de pollo y camarones, pay taxes, etc.   

However, speaking of the long gone silver coins:  the clad tokens just do not seem same as real money.   It was a fine feeling to have silver coins to spend!

Regardos Muchos!

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

4 de Junio 2018:  Yes, and elHeron also uses the 'fiat money' to buy gasolina, buy fajitas de pollo y camarones, pay taxes, etc.   

However, speaking of the long gone silver coins:  the clad tokens just do not seem same as real money.   It was a fine feeling to have silver coins to spend!

Regardos Muchos!

Do you know the word for that change?

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Those who do it are...

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

In the United States it is known as "Nixon Shock".

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

4 de Junio 2018:  A word?  Junk?.  Yonque?.  Dreck? 

Regardos.    

Message 15 of 19
latest reply