cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harco Coinmaster Albums

Came across a box them, mostly used some new.  Seems based on what I am reading these are bad for coins and should be thrown out.  Is that correct?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Harco Coinmaster Albums

@laumpc wrote:

Came across a box them, mostly used some new.  Seems based on what I am reading these are bad for coins and should be thrown out.  Is that correct?

laumpc,

That is corrrect.  These albums contain PVC and will cause coins to be covered in green slime over time.  The green slime is PVC damage done to the coins' surfaces and if the slime is left on too long, the PVC damage can go deeper into the coins.

Acetone may be used to remove the green slime off coins, but using acetone also changes the coins' surfaces. . . .

Godzilla_Goose

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Harco Coinmaster Albums

@laumpc wrote:

laumpc,

That is corrrect.  These albums contain PVC and will cause coins to be covered in green slime over time.  The green slime is PVC damage done to the coins' surfaces and if the slime is left on too long, the PVC damage can go deeper into the coins.

Acetone may be used to remove the green slime off coins, but using acetone also changes the coins' surfaces. . . .

Godzilla_Goose

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Harco Coinmaster Albums

Thanks - I am just going to toss them.  I saw some being sold on eBay.  Decide I should checl before tossing them.  I do not want to sell anything that is harmful.

Are there any Dansco albums that are bad?  Have some used ones also in this box.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Harco Coinmaster Albums

acetone does NOT change a coin's surface, but it also doesn't reverse the damaged caused by PVC...

what it does do is help remove substanced adhered to the coin... such as tape, glue, or other gunk...

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Harco Coinmaster Albums

@laumpc wrote:

Thanks - I am just going to toss them.  I saw some being sold on eBay.  Decide I should checl before tossing them.  I do not want to sell anything that is harmful.

Are there any Dansco albums that are bad?  Have some used ones also in this box.

some people collect albums and don't use them for coin storage... IOW, you could literally be throwing money away...

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Harco Coinmaster Albums

*smedley*,

When I wrote that acetone changes the coins' surfaces, I am looking at this from a purist's point of view in that the surfaces of the coins are no longer in their original (or natural state) but they have been treated with a chemical solvent, that being acetone.

From what I understand, acetone will NOT remove natural toning from silver coins but it will remove artificial toning from silver coins, thereby changing the coins' surfaces. Maybe, it would be more clear (or precise) if I had written that acetone treated coins changes the coins' original surfaces since these coins are no longer untreated (or "conserved").

Godzilla_Goose

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Harco Coinmaster Albums

Did not know that.  Collectors want these Harco Coinmaster?

Okay - I will try them and disclose in the description these are not safe for storing coins.

Thanks for the info.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Harco Coinmaster Albums

Any opinions on the Dansco albums? Can they also be bad for coins?
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Harco Coinmaster Albums

What Dansco albums do you have? Some of the foreign can be very hard to find.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Harco Coinmaster Albums

acetone is an organic solvent... it does not affect metal... it will not disturb or damage a coin's original surface, toned or otherwise...

caution must be exercised when working with acetone... do not work with acetone without reading the MSDS, or at least the warnings on the container...

Message 10 of 10
latest reply