cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europa C&O #336 - Zwolle, Oberijssel - Duit - Copper - [16]39,

25 Septiembre 2017:  Greetings to all coin collectors where-ever you might be!

Heron continues to 'report' acquisitions to assist in keeping this coin chatting place alive.   Heron is very pleased to report Zentral & Oest coin number 336:

The Coin: Zwolle - Duit - Copper - [16]39 - 20mm dia.

Obverse: at center is a knight fighting fallen enemy.

Legend: DEVS REFVC IVM NOSTREVM.

Reverse:     At center -    ZW

OLLAE

3 COA 9   

A condensed history:

843 - Carolingian Empire was divided into 3 parts: East Franks, West Franks,

and Middle Franks.  Most of present day Niederlanden was in Middle

Frankenland.

855 - Middle land North of Alps became Lotharingia.

C. 900 - 1000: The Holy Roman Empire ruled most of Niederlanden area.

1384 - 1581: Area ruled by Burgandy & those happy Hapsburgers.

1581 - 1795:  Niederland Republic.

Notes:  This coin is a wartime issue; The 80 Years War 1568 to 1648.

This is a 'fun' item.  It has a lot going for it:  A coat of arms, a 'fight scene',

it is Copper, a municipalidado issue, and it is a wartime issue!

And now, per popular demand, some info sources for your reading pleasure:

Muenzenhandlungcomptoirdesmonnaies.

Metaldetectie Vlaanderen bodenvonsten munten.

Muenzenhandlung zeldzaam.

Zwolle - Encyclopedia Britannica.

Overijssel Province - Encyclopedia Britannica.

Zwolle: de munt van Zwolle in de Andere Isselsteden.

Muntprijzen Verkoopprijzen Provincial.

Google Images - Zwolle Coins.

Koperen Duit Zwolle, stevensweert images.

Comptoir des Monnaies Pays Bas Overijssel.

Zwolle coins muenzenaukdeutschland.

Zwolle coins eBay.

Muenzenhandlunghenzen.

List of States Holy Roman Empire - wik.

Netherlands - en.wikit.

**A neat transition from Bydgoszcz in the east to Zwolle in the west.  Another nice 

different issuing entity is Nr 336.   Hopefully there will be more items acquired in

order to perhaps reach 350.  Perhaps sometime in 2018, with help from the great

celestial spirits...? Quien Sabe?  A super fun hobby we enjoy.**

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Congrats on the addition, elheron!

I have never been to Zwolle, but have a related story.  In the early years of this century, I was on a flight from Frankfurt to Philadelphia, seated next to a young Dutch woman.  As that's an 8 hour flight during daytime, we eventually talked, and it turned out she was headed to a prominent Philadelphia institution of higher learning to do an internship in biomedical research.  I asked how she would get there after picking up her bags, and she said by taxi.  

Well, knowing the attitude of taxi drivers in large eastern U.S. cities, and that this was her first time setting foot on American soil, I volunteered that my wife (who was picking me up) and I would be glad to drive her to her living accomodations.  So, we did, and in the process exchanged names, phone numbers, etc.  

Not much more than 24 hours later, we received a phone call that her living accomodations were really not working out too well.  The dorm room she had been assigned was just above the dumpsters, which meant that every other day at 6 a.m., she was awoken by the trash trucks.  So, she had left, and was sleeping on the floor of the department secretary for the time being.  She was wondering if we had any idea how to find new lodgings.

We said we didn't, but that she could stay with us until things worked out.  So, for several weeks, she was our house guest, until she found a place.

She was from Zwolle.     

Sometimes numismatics reinforces that the world is smaller than it seems.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

2 Oct 2017: Hola TDZ - your story of Zwolle is very interesting.   Sometimes these strange sounding places of Central & Oest Europa can be interesting to some folks.

When Heron 'reported' his coin of Deventer [#263 - 'reported' 9 July 2016 1034 hrs] he received an email msg regarding the place.   A guy wrote and said he had been

sent by his employer to Deventer.   He was a marketing guy.   He also told me about Kampen and Zwolle that were near Deventer.   So Heron added those to his 'want list'.   Several folks have written to Heron to tell stories of visits to some of the 'obscure' places that issued coins.   However, the guy that was working out of Deventer was not a coin collector.   His hobby is photography!.

Yes, coin collecting is a super interesting hobby and many folks can 'participate', even if they are not coin collectors!    

Thanks for your comentarios.  Regardos.  

Message 3 of 3
latest reply