cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1964 D Kennedy Half dollar - Transitional

Below is a 1964 D Kennedy half dollar that is TRANSITIONAL!!

I cannot find any listings anywhere for a 1964 D Kennedy as a transitional?  And I don't understand how this proof die from Philadelphia could have ended up at the Denver mint as a business strike??? It is definitely a transitional. There are broken rays to the right of the eagles head as well as broken rays above 'UNUM' (2nd and 3rd from the right). There is also the straight 'G'. 

Do any of the major grading companies recognize this varity?  Does anyone have any enlightening information on this coin??? 

I have the 4th edition of the Cherry Pickers guide but don't see anything in there re this coin.

I purchased lots of 1964 - 1964 D Kennedy's back in 2011 in which I have acquired several of these. 

1 011.jpg1 059.jpg1 032.jpg1 037.jpg1 046.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

That looks like a regular business strike with some toning at 6 o’clock on the obverse to me.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I know there is toning, that is obvious.  What I am asking are about the transitional coins. Are you familiar with them??? What is this 1964 D variety.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@launcher123 wrote:

I know there is toning, that is obvious.  What I am asking are about the transitional coins. Are you familiar with them??? What is this 1964 D variety.

IMO, that is not transitional. The chance of a proof Philadelphia die getting to the Denver mint and being used to really slim.

Here is some info you may find helpful: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=154855.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for your reply however, there is definitely something going on as I have 14 of these 1964 D's and they all have the transitional reverse. I also have a bunch of the 1964 accented hair proofs and perhaps 100 or more of the 1964 transitional (Reverse only) so I am very familer with this variety. 

But having 14, 1964 D's with the same reverse variety is very wierd. 

I just typed in on eBay search '1964 D Kennedy half dollar' and below is the first one I looked at.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-D-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-CHOICE-BU-TONED-FREE-SHIPPING-E219-KF/1427286056....

There are lots of them out there!! I can't seem to get anyone to hear what I am saying?? No one seems to be aware of them??? Just type in 1964 D yourself and check out the reverse on several of them and you will see that many have this transitional reverse. I believe it is a real coin variety. Please follow through and you will begin to see what I am talking about.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

i see nothing that indicates proof dies were used to strike the pictured coin...

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Who said the 1964 D's were proof dies?? Couldn't the Denver mint have a business die of their own and somehow create a similar problem?? I know you will perhaps say that's 'unlikely' however, possible.

Why are there so many of these 1964 D's that have a transitional reverse?? There is definitely something going on here I believe.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Here is a coin for sale on eBay right now. Check it out. It has the transitional reverse.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-D-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-CHOICE-BU-TONED-FREE-SHIPPING-E376-AAF/362283069...

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Greetings to sharper minds!
I have 2 of these coins; 1-unc, 1-circulated. Both Denver Mint business strikes. The best web page I could find listed this as: ODV-002, RDV-001. They exist, but I've found no info on mintage numbers etc. You need a loupe of 15X or so to identify the reverse, with the obverse rather obvious. I'm told none of the Big Four grading companies currently recognize this variety. I don't grade coins for my private collection anyway. Dies must have been mixed up or miss-paired for this coin to have been minted at all. I plan on keeping my 2 w/my other coins: they match perfectly what I collect, which is anything odd/different that I like. Anyone else have one? Or perhaps direction to info? Thanks in advance, Rob.

Nobody? Kenny? Matt?
PS- I heard it's in the latest Cherry-Picker Guide, but the real mystery is how a Philly ('64) reverse die 001 end up in Denver to mint '64 Business Strikes?!
PPS- I never did hear from a US half dollar expert; I've sent the two VERY, VERY, rare specimens to a friend in Ohio who will know just what to do w/them! I DID hear from one extremely knowledgeable Expert on the Numista Team, who advised me these are the scarcest '64 Kennedy Business Strikes EVER Minted. In fact, they in theory couldn't have been minted at all! So, does that sound like to you (it does to me!) an employee or two getting together a few to pay for a NICE school for their kids? Of course, for that BAD thought to work, a limited number would HAVE to be released into general circulation. If your child(ren) were pre-teen in '64, 10-15 years down the road you could make a few bucks! Perhaps that's the reason not a single 1 of the BIG FOUR grading Companies will recognize this easy to see variety? Secret Service started out NOT protecting our President (they come & go), but protecting our fledgling Country's money! Hhmmm...Rob.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Hey WOW!!! Yours was the ONLY post I could find in searching the internet for some info on this coin. But it was back in 2013 and didn't have a clue as to how to contact you so decided to give the eBay community a try. Nice to know at least one person doesn't think I'm nuts.

However, you are saying the same thing now as you did 5 years ago. Have you any new information on this coin?? Should I just dump what I have or do you think someone will actually notice that this is a real transitional 1964 D???

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@launcher123 wrote:

Who said the 1964 D's were proof dies??

you did... 3rd sentence of your OP...

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I am not Rob. I am koindog. I copied and pasted the 2013 post to show the similarity.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I have the same coin - I Type One reverse, with a straight G in the FS designer's initials and breaks in rays 11-13 (counting from the left) where they meet stars. Only the 1964 proof Accented hair and Sms Half Dollar have it. NO business strike or denver minted 1964 half dollar have it. But you have one and I have one.IMG_E0112[1].JPGIMG_0156.JPGIMG_0156.JPGIMG_0155.JPGIMG_0112.JPGIMG_0138.JPG

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@dands-warehouse 

Yours is a business strike too - it is not rare.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply