cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1960 Canada 1 cent coin with a Shiny Silver coating - Question

I have a 1960 Canadian 1 cent coin with a Shiny Silver coating.

Is there any chance this is from the mint like this?  Appears its a nickel coating as its slightly magnetic, feels like the surface is magnetic, some copper possibly shows on back dented area. Also the weight is supposed to be 3.24 grams and its 3.3..  below are the specs for the coin..  The online  images all show copper finish not silver. As mints use nickel which is magnetic to coat nickels and quarters,  not sure if they possibly did this or anyway to know??

Specifications - 1 cent 1960

• Alloy: 98% copper, 0.5% tin and 1.5% zinc
  • Weight: 3.24 grams
  • Diameter : 19.05 mm
  • Engraver: Obverse: Thomas Single, Reverse: N/A
  • Designer: Obverse: Mary Gillick, Reverse: G.E. Kruger Gray
  • Edge: Smooth
  • Magnetism: Nonmagnetic
  • Die axis: ↑↑

02 Canada SIlver Cent.jpg01 Canada SIlver Cent.jpgBetter Image of FinishBetter Image of FinishCopper FinishCopper Finish

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

the solder on the obverse makes me think it was once part of a piece of jewelry, and therefore possibly silver (or some other shiny metal) plated...

it's also possible someone was playing around with a broken thermometer and coated it with mercury...

as far as the weight goes, i don't know what the RCM's tolerance standards are, but the added weight is probably from the solder and whatever the coin has been coated/plated with... 0.76 grams isn't much...

in any case, it did NOT leave the mint that way...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

12 de Junio 2018:  Heron has seen coins with various 'coatings'.  Acrylic or varnish.

Heron has a 1/2 Penny of Gran Britannia that was varnished.   An 1807.  Heron kept it as an essample of a 'coated' coin.  Not part of Heron's collection.   

Regardos.  

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

the solder on the obverse makes me think it was once part of a piece of jewelry, and therefore possibly silver (or some other shiny metal) plated...

it's also possible someone was playing around with a broken thermometer and coated it with mercury...

as far as the weight goes, i don't know what the RCM's tolerance standards are, but the added weight is probably from the solder and whatever the coin has been coated/plated with... 0.76 grams isn't much...

in any case, it did NOT leave the mint that way...

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Agreed, this is some sort of post-mint plating.  It may well be nickel.  It looks as if the coin saw some circulation prior to being plated, and it does look like a former jewelry piece.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks, sounds right... Just stuck out in a pile of pennies, thought it was a dime 🙂

Appreciate your quick response!

Bill

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

happy to help...

if nothing else, it's a good one for the misc stuff binder... mine is chock full of neat stuff...

Message 6 of 6
latest reply