cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1862 Seated Liberty Dollar Fake ???

I found this coin and i do not know much about coins, it weighs 24.70 grams and is 38.0mm in size, which is close to what i found on google but there is no sign of the Liberty banner on the shield, and no mint mark. It will not stick or move to a magnet. Real or fake ?? Any help would be very helpful, Thanks

Kenny
Photobucket
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

it is absolutely, definitely, 100% positively, fake...

sorry...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Ok thanks, but in the future how do i tell the difference, what sticks out as being fake ??

Kenny
Photobucket
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Ok i got this one also is it fake as well it is a 1888, and it weighs24.41 grams, non magnetic and is 38.0mm in size

Kenny
Photobucket
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@kdk1690 wrote:

Ok thanks, but in the future how do i tell the difference, what sticks out as being fake ??

the general look is a big factor, but that comes with experience... the graininess, the unnatural toning, the "mushiness" of detail...

the weight is way too low and the diameter too small for a real coin with that amount of wear...

the date is completely screwy... all numbers should be the same type and size... the 1 is the only one that's even close to what it should look like on that coin...

and as you've already noticed, the lack of detail on the obverse...

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@kdk1690 wrote:

Ok i got this one also is it fake as well it is a 1888, and it weighs24.41 grams, non magnetic and is 38.0mm in size

pretty much the same comments, except the date is better on this one...

don't forget the mintmark... this would be an 1888-S...

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

it does have the s mint mark on it

Kenny
Photobucket
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

1862 dollar. Now how many do you want?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1862-US-Morgan-One-Dollar-Coin-Copy-Free-Shipping/32868730562.html?s...

That's a heck of a URL they got there!

I always check that website when I see a questionable coin. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@agathetyche wrote:

1862 dollar. Now how many do you want?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1862-US-Morgan-One-Dollar-Coin-Copy-Free-Shipping/32868730562.html?s...

That's a heck of a URL they got there!

I always check that website when I see a questionable coin. 

WOW, that one comes with die cracks to suit error coin collectors!

I like this one better > https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOT-1pc-Dog-**bleep**-Commemorative-Coin-Craft-Collection-gift/232745827...

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

What relevance does your link have to this thread, or the price of eggs in Chicago ?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@kdk1690 wrote:

It's not impossible someone could screw up a real dollar to look that bad (although the details would still not match this one), but the weight (it's underweight) guarantees it's fake. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply