cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iNDIAN HEAD ONE CENT

I hope someone will be able to help with a coin. I know absolutely nothing about coins but just came accross these while cleaning 

out chest and drawers.  This one is the only one that is in a protective cover so I'll ask about it first. One top of coin it says United States

of America and is an indian head and the date 1863. The back side says one cent and a wreath on back. I hope my picture is clear enough

for you to see it. Could someone tell me about this coin?  

I'm a little confused by the different types of coins and which are valuable and others that aren't. The rest of my coins are mixed and loose so

I'll have to take them one at a time.  Some are foreign.  These coins were given to my Mother from the estate of her Aunt in Florida back in

the late 50's and every once in awhile we would get them out to see what they were and end up putting back in the chest.Thanks to anyone who can help. I am an antique doll collector so maybe if you have an old doll packed away I can help with that.  1863 OLD ONE CENT IN PACKAGE 001.JPG1863 OLD ONE CENT IN PACKAGE 010.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

iNDIAN HEAD ONE CENT

1863 Indian Head Penny Variety 2 copper-nickel, oak wreath with shield (1860-1864). Yours is a nice example in a lower grade. From the photo seems G or G+. (Can you clearly read LIBERTY on the head band ?). They minted 49 million of them. I'm not current with values but guess worth somewhere around $8 to $11 + or -.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

iNDIAN HEAD ONE CENT

I think you are right...G at best as liberty is not legible... He has to buy the famous red book or the world coin books from all centuries and learn about his grading before anything else....What do you think unclekipsy??
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

iNDIAN HEAD ONE CENT

Yes, OZ....Red Book is the easy and initial book I would recommend. Then follow up with A.N.A. Grading Standards for US Coins and hone down  the skill. I recommend looking at many coins in different grades and get a "feel" for their conditions and grade.  A fun series (I found) to examine for grades would be the Barber Halves. High grade barber halves are real nice looking coins. I'm a bit of a Bust Half nut, so I have the Overton Die variety book as well. My numismatic journey has been in neutral for 10 years as I'm busy with family and job. I would love to have more time and return to my collecting days !

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

iNDIAN HEAD ONE CENT

Thanks for your response. I didn't even notice liberty on the head band so I would say no, I can't read it easily, lol.

I can barely make out the words now that you mention it. Looks like I won't be retiring on it.  Thanks for responding

to my post so fast. The doll board needs to speed it up.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

iNDIAN HEAD ONE CENT

I would accept as solution but can't find the way. If you see it how about hitting it for me.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

iNDIAN HEAD ONE CENT

My collecting has been from 1965 to now and i admit i still dont know everythig...These people that get on here and want to pick our brains is a NO WAY...let them study and make mistakes on the way like we all had to.... What is good for the goose is good for the gander,,,I have hd my say

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

iNDIAN HEAD ONE CENT

Oh dear...Are you talking about me? Can't be knowledgeable about everything you know. Would you go

out and buy all kinds of books, to identify a very few items? Not me. When and if  I decide it's important enough

I would start studying up on it but I hold onto things I know very little about.

Don't feel you have to answer any post that you think might be picking your brain...That could be slim pickings.

Thanks anyway..

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

iNDIAN HEAD ONE CENT

Do not worry about the oz in ohio that person is selfish and one of the reasons the hobby is dying. I have been in the industry for over 40 years and most of the people are more helpful. IMO oz is a self-centered person that is only concerned with themselves and one of the people that takes advantage of others if you need more help here is a link to another ebay forum where people help each other. Regards https://community.ebay.com/t5/Coins-Paper-Money/bd-p/28
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

iNDIAN HEAD ONE CENT

Buy a new or used copy of:

A Guide Book of United States Coins by R. S. Yeoman.

It will give you:

1) the rudiments of what to look for in grading, and

2) an estimate of the coin's market value once a grade is roughly known.

As you already know, as an antique doll collector, condition and originality is everything in determining value. The same with coins.

Once you've identified your coins, go to eBay and check the completed items for the type your interested in knowing. This will tell you what sells and for what price, and what doesn't sell due to overpriced starts or undisclosed issues that have made prospective buyers/bidders weary.

Finally, best of luck.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply