cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unslabbing question

I have a proof set that is made up of coins having been graded by either PCGS or NGC. I am thinking about breaking them out of their slabs and putting them in a black Capitol holder. I'm thinking that they will look nicer displayed that way. Your thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Unslabbing question

What year is the set and what are the grades of each coin. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Unslabbing question

It is a 1954 proof set with 2 coins grading proof 65, one at proof 66 and 2 at proof 67.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Unslabbing question

If any of your coins are graded Deep Mirror or Deep Mirror Cam, you are dealing with high $$$ and they should be left alone. If the grades are straight MS, then you have a total value of around $300.   You can check out the values on the PCGS site. 

Capital Plastics holders with multiple holes are notorious for being tight for some of the coins and loose for others, so keep that in mind.  Your call.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Unslabbing question

Thanks for your input. None of the coins are graded as Deep so I think I'll go ahead and break them out.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Unslabbing question

Well, thought that I would share the result of my folly. I finished the unslabbing and decided to do both, a cameo graded  proof set and a non-cameo graded proof set. The top row of coins in the holder were the cameo graded coins and the bottom row is the non-cameo set.

DSCN0420.JPGDSCN0422.JPG

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Unslabbing question

Looks nice !
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Unslabbing question

Thanks for the feedback.

Interesting thing is that I did a cameo set and non cameo set to show as a comparison but some of the non cameos look very much like the cameos. Not sure what the criteria is for the difference in grading.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Unslabbing question

Great Display!  Not only is it attractive and educational, it demonstrates the true interest of a collector!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply