cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Slabs new article

acan451
Enthusiast
Sample Slabs – Collectors Who Buy The Slab, Not The Coin May 21, 2011 | Author Alan Canavan Welcome to the wonderful world of Sample Slabs! The picture you see below is the first Sample slab that I’ve ever bought. I’m new to the world of coins and even newer to collecting Sample slabs. I bought my first sample completely by mistake; I saw the slabbed coin for sale on ebay and noticed the word Sample on the label. The first thing I though was that this must mean it’s a stock photo and the one I would receive will be a nice graded coin. When the coin arrived I opened it and to my surprise there was the word Sample just as in the picture I saw at time of purchase. I’m glad that I had the good sense to do some research on the Internet before sending the seller an email asking why they had sent me the wrong coin. That’s when I discovered that the word “Sample” applied to the slab and not to the coin. So what is a Sample slab? Well the quick answer is that this is a way for TPG to show a new holder or label change for any given year. Ever since the first slabbed coin, companies have been updating their holders. The first were very basic holders with what looked like a typed label with the usual information. They were quite plain without holograms or any of the other types we have today. For the most part they’re given out at coin shows sometimes to the public and, to dealers and in some cases people who attend special functions. There are many different ways that samples are distributed and I’ll try to cover them in future articles. There are countless types of Samples covering many different coins. Some are quite rare while others are quite common and that is the fun of collecting Sample slabs. Now why would anyone want to collect Sample slabs? Well my answer to that question when asked is always the same, Why does anyone collect anything; because it’s fun and isn’t that the reason why we all collect anything? Now remember that I’m just a rookie at collecting and still have a lot to learn, when it comes to any kind of coins. I’ve spent much time researching Sample slabs as I find them very interesting and lots of fun too, but still I am by no means an expert. If you have any questions I’ll be happy to try and answer them, or at the very least point you in the right direction. There are far too many sample slabs to cover in just one article and if allowed I will try to cover the different types of Sample slabs. Also, the first PCGS sample slab to contain a world coin inside. From what I’ve read, it’s a Mint State coin but nothing is indicated on this slab. PCGS started grading world coins back in the first part of 1990. This in itself is very cool, but it’s also not that easy to find. I saw one just recently on eBay sell for around $40.00 but it’s the only one I’ve ever seen since I bought mine several month’s ago. So until next time remember to buy the coin and not the slab, but when it comes to sample slabs, buy the slab and not the coin. All the best, Alan Canavan -- http://coinauctionshelp.com/Coin_Help_Blog/2011/05/21/sample-slabs-collectors-who-buy-the-slab-not-t...
http://coinauctionshelp.com/Coin_Help_Blog/2011/06/08/sample-slabs-first-generation-holders-part-ii/
Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0