cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know about this unusual penny.

I found this in my collection. On front it has part of a wheat. 1955

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

on left side has part of the wheat on it
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

looks like a misstrike or a bad planchet strike.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

This year is know for odd strikes, lamination defects and cuds. The oddest thing on your penny is the strong obverse rim and pushed in reverse rim. Planchet defect makes sense or collar issue at the mint is another possibility.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The actual correct term is mistruck as the outside of the rim is not in its correct position.

Many of these are found in there years as the machinery was rather primative and not

digital like today...

It may have a value of about $10.00 to the collector that wants it but you also have to do

all the work in finging out and by the time youi have advertised if for $10.00 or so, you

will get very frustrated with no replies.

On top of that if there is no collector out there that really wants to buy it, then deep down

it is worth nothing...Personally i would take it to a stamp and coin show and sell it off

there to another dealer.... That way you will have made your profit anf the problem is

then his. However if you are greedy ( like most in ebay ) and want the full price, list it

and relist and trkist etc etc etc and in no time you would have spent the $10 or so in

ebay fees and you will thenm be $10.00 down the tube and still not have sold it..

have a nice day

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Two collectors told me it is very rare because it has the wheat on the side on the left side on the front. Have you seen this before?
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Out of Collar or Partial Collar Coin Errors

There are 3 different dies that strike a coin blank to make a coin. The obverse (heads) side, the reverse (tails) side and the collar die. The reverse die usually on the bottom is recessed below the collar. The collar die may seem insignificant but it is extremely important part of getting the strike correct and centered on the coin. The collar die holds the planchet so the two other dies can strike and effect the design on the coin precisely. The collar die also adds edge milling or reeding to some coins.

Occasionally during striking the blank doesn’t fall correctly into place. If there is a malfunction of the press particularly with the collar die or how the coin is held in place by the collar then you can end up with a whole range of errors or effects.

Hard to say for sure the degree of collar error [Straight Partial Collar or Tilted Partial Collar or Out of Collar ] without an edge [rim] image.

It will be of larger diameter than a non-error 1c.

The lack of strike definition in the left wheat comes from the lack of collar engagement restricting metal flow on die closure.

Lack of strike definition can also result from excess oil that fills a die, but not so here.

Nor is it a die engraving error, so not rare.

This also has a planchet flaw / cud around the T in cent and below.

Perhaps a 'post minting' ding around that T.

It's worth what a collector will pay. 

They pay more for more dramatic / profound errors.

Sorry, this is not 'rare' or profound IMO.

Minimum value is 1c. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@kathysfindings wrote:
Two collectors told me it is very rare because it has the wheat on the side on the left side on the front. Have you seen this before?

What are you trying to say here?

Whats the 'front'?  The 'heads' side?

I don't see any significant design variation on the 'tails' side.

I don't see a wheat design impression on the 'heads' side.

If there was a trace of that, it comes from a 'die clash' and not 'rare'.

The dies close without a blank  metal disc and smash against each other, damaging [changing] the die and the impression it makes.

Ask yourself, 

How many coins could have been made with a serviceable damaged die?

Could be thousands.  NOT  RARE.

How many made as a 1st stage 'Brockage' [both heads or both tails]?  Thats VERY RARE.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply