cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coin grading service to avoid at ebay

You must read this and view these image before buying coins holders! If you already know then please pass this on to others. http://coinauctionshelp.com/Coin_Help_Blog/ebay-grading-frauds/

This needs to be shared every where there's coin collectors on the internet.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Nice to find this group as coin grading has always been a very important part of my collecting for almost 50 years now. I just had a listing removed from eBay for a MC 999 Listing Policy Violation and I really have no problem with this policy now that I am aware of it. Will make future listings a lot easier now that I don't have to take the time to grade (according to ANA Standards) every coin I want to sell. The photos will have to represent the coin the best they can.

I really started collecting coins before any of these major grading services  got a strong foothold in the hobby. Again no problem with these services as they do a fine job. But all grading is an opinion, and the terms "Gem" or "Choice" which are used constantly on eBay is a description of the coins condition, and used rather loosely at best.

Anyway your section on questionable slabs should be must reading for any new collector. Or for those jumping into the hobby thinking it is like the Stock Market and your going to get rich. You get into coin collecting because you enjoy it. If someday you make a few bucks when you finally decide to thin the herd that's just an added plus. But somehow filling holes in those little blue books was really what it was all about. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I hate the idea of "grading coins"

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I do not believe the high grading as no matter what anyone says, unless the coin is straight from a mint roll ( and possibly photographed when being taken out ) the coins cannot be UNC. To place the coin into the holder and to make sure it is the correct way up, it has to be handled in some way.....That is why the highest I will call any coin or banknote is g/EF to A/ Unc...If other sellers were like this, then it would be a much more easy method for the bidders or buyers as they know they will not be caught...The only other thing is to check for all high points under a jewelers loupe. Personally I like to collect coins in the grading of VF to EF as then it is a more true grading...Anyone can shove a high grade on something but it takes a lot to give the true grade....have a nice day

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Just say the coin is circulated as you had to handle it to place on the scanner...

That is what i say ...even if is high grade as i had to handle it to place on

the scanner and forensically my prints can be taken off

The only way thet item can be called uncirculated is if it is still in the bubble

plastic portion of an uncirculated set made by the mint.

There is no way you are in the wrong then...if you cant give the exact grade then dont.

have a nice day...OIO

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

A coin is not circulated unless it is released to the general public for use no matter how many times it is handled. Coins taken from mint sewn bags or mint bank rolls are not circulated coins. Uncirculated coins may however have flaws and defects such as bag marks, scuffs etc., that is why there are various grades of MS coins. Anyone handling coins from mint packaging should be wearing gloves so there are no fingerprints. Anyway coin grading is not a big mystery but is does take time and study, and it is always a matter of opinion. Unfortunately the big grading companies have convinced the hobby that theirs is the only opinion that counts, and that should of never happened. If you've been in the hobby a long time then you remember that's what it was all about in the first place, collecting and learning about coins. Grading was part of that learning process, you couldn't be a smart buyer if you didn't know what you were looking at. Now it's more about buying and selling, and I'm OK with that too. But I still know a great coin when I see one, and I can spot an overgraded one also, that's why it is still fun after all these years.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

WRONG WRONG WRONG...... Classify nmothing as uncirculated as i know from experience that every shop i have been in during my 50 years of collecting, there have been arguements with shopkeepers and customers.....NOTHING IS UNCIRCULATED AS IT HAD TO BE HANDLED ... Even if it was not handled, there would have been bag marks and digs in the metal.....Like you said it takes time and experience...I wonder how many people out there know how to grade a wheat penny and what is the first place to look for regarding wear. ???? OIO

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

It seems to me that this group has lost its focus.It's not about how a coin is determined to be circulated or not,it's about how the major grading companies determine that and why one company gives a coin or piece of currency one grade and another company gives it another. I speak from experience as this has happened to me on a number of occasions and results in a great difference of value.Who is right and who is wrong? The real winners most often are these so called "expert" graders and the companies they work for. Take a look at who owns and runs these companies and you can start to make a picture as to who gets the better grades and who doesn't. If grading is very subjective,and they all say that,then why does E-Bay only accept  noting the listing with the four "major" companies.That means that noboby elses opinion counts.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You are correct that among the widely accepted grading companies, they can grade the same coin differently. There are experienced collectors who will buy a coin for the sole purpose of sending it to another grading company with the hope of achieving a higher grade. But, with the major coin grading companies, they do grade coins fairly consistently such that buying a coin graded by them can be bought with a high degree of confidence.

The reason Ebay only accepts the major grading companies is because they are widely accepted standards in the numismatic world. Otherwise, anyone can put a coin in a holder, stick a grade on it and basically ripoff novice or naive collectors. There are enough ripoffs in the coin auctions as it is without making it worse by having dozens of fly-by-night grading companies with coins being sold.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Nothing is uncirculated...I grade my highest as A/Unc and then i cannot go wrong as there is some % there for wear.....Unfortunately not everyone is like me...They think everything is UNC and if it is not, they clean it

Message 10 of 10
latest reply