cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need advice on indoor lighting

Hi!

I have decided that I want to have the capability to shoot my listing pictures indoors, which is not something I have ever done.  As we move toward the "gray" months, I need a source of consistent light.  I need to set up a simple system so that I can shoot my pictures.  I have not the least idea how or where to start.  I don't want to spend a huge amount, but more importantly, I don't want to purchase the wrong equipment.  I shoot a lot of close ups with a point and shoot digital camera.

Could I get away with a light reflector, bulb and stand?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me!  I Am Clueless!!

joliefran

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

So , I do understand what you want but have to ask what or who are you shooting ??

For people,, what you are looking to do with a bulb and reflection 'does work'.. but you need to consider the bulb as your most important player..
For object or product photo one bulb may not be enough as product photography is an art all on it's own.
Hope this helps ,, I know you can get away with your solution but you actually need to YouTube search and get specific opinions for your subject...

Joe
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks!  It's just for eBay.  Lots of close ups.  I got some reflectors but I don't know what kind of bulb to use.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I use a dslr with a flash that can be moved sideways so I don't get a lot of flash reflection off shiny items.

Click Me
For Antique and Rare Books
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

What you're looking for is called a "shooting tent," a "light tent" or sometimes a "light shed." It's a box with walls made from a translucent white fabric. One wall is missing - that's where you shoot from. You put lighting on either side, and the fabric softens the light and spreads it evenly. You can use it with strobes or with continuous lighting. You can even use inexpensive desk lamps (typically one on each side) - just be sure to set your white balance so the photos come out correctly-colored for the lights you use.

--Everything below this line is a sig--

This post created with 100% recycled electrons.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

thanks! Can I use flat white paint instead of fabric? So I put the lights on the top of the 3 sides. Do they have to be low so that I don't interfere and cause a shadow when I'm shooting?
thanks
jolie
Message 6 of 6
latest reply