cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cybershot no longer compatible with iMac photo program

I have been using a little cybershot dscw55 for my ebay photos. Now, suddenly, my Imac won't load pictures from it. It seems the new Yosemite only works with certain cameras. They have a list, but there are a million cameras on it! I can't look them all up. Some of the ones I did look up were VERY expensive! I only need a simple camera like my cybershot. If possible, I'd like something with a good zoom so I can catch the hummingbirds outside, too. I'd appreciate any suggestions. What do you use? Thanks so much

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

No longer recognizes OLDER Sony "RAW" files I could understand that, but not jpegs.

At any rate your Sony is simoly past prime.

You mentioned hummingbirds, not easy and here's why ....even at 1/1000 of a second a shutter is not fast enough to freeze the wings. Not that you need to, just the fact that the wings will be blurred on most cameras and most importantly giving the auto focus a challenge to lock on. Overall a difficult challenge for camera and operator.

I think Sony still makes as fantastic a point and shoot as any brand so I'd stick with them.

Fast focusing and fast action captures are not strong suits of low end models, what you pay for in a camera is Zoom length, speed, and image resolution.

The bigger the more cost.

With point and shoots toss out any hope of 36x24 images or even 20x14 the sensor just isn't big enough to provide those sizes in acceptable quality. So look for 20 megs or less in resolution. Z oom or super zoom is a matter of taste, the longer the more cost. Finally there's AF speed, faster cost more.

YOU have to balance these thing to your budget based on 2 things, your comfort in handling and finding your way around the system plus the personal taste you have in the results. These last 2 are things YOU have to decide on your own .....to be happy because without a happy user a camera is sad most the time .....

Don't let a sales person pick a camera for you
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Reg:

Thanks for the reply.  I think simple point and shoot is a good idea for me.  I am not concerned with great photos, just good ones.  I hadn't thought about the movement factor of hummingbirds!  Guess I'll ashcan that idea.

I like sony.  How Do I know which models would not be outdated?

Message 3 of 3
latest reply