cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Canon Camera SII

My family has a very rare early model Canon purchased in Japan in 1946, the year the camera was first produced in occupied Japan.  There were 7500 produced between 1946-49 and these were the first to be made by the newly named Canon Camera Company.  I was looking for some feedback about whether this could be (I mean, should be, I know it can be!!) listed on ebay or if there's a better.  I think there must be a collector out there somewhere who would want this and pay appropriately - but how do I figure out the beginning price when there are no others to compare  to?

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Vintage Canon Camera SII

First things first and that includes the condition which is major followed by the operation ......is it complete or is the curtain good and has no holes ....many many things need to be considered before anyone could put a value on it ....if it's never been serviced or not serviced recently I'd bet the curtains leak which is extremely common for these

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Vintage Canon Camera SII

It is in very good condition, almost mint, stored carefully in the case.  My father had it serviced not long ago and was told it was good.  I would certainly check that specific function before selling, thank you for mentioning.  Does that possible defect make this less of a collectible than I think it might be?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Vintage Canon Camera SII

Hi,

Reggie is correct....condition is everything.

Looks like some sellers are asking way above current value for buy it nows. Auction values put it at $200-300 for a clean example.

Book price (McKeown's 2006) lists it at $300-600 which shows its trending down right now.
Thats what the internet has done to many collectible markets. Many once "rare" items are no longer as rare as currently claimed.

Until its looked at in the hands of someone that knows what to look for, you cant really put an exact value.
But this should give you an idea on the current market for you model.

Camerman Mike

Michael J...

If you're talking, you're not listening....If you're not listening, you're not learning.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply