cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value of Vintage Black Nikon F with serial 6408997 + more

I want to find out how much  (approximately this camera is worth. It is well used but I was told everything was checked out and it works well. It also comes with 3 lenses and accesorries in a heavy metal case. If it is worth enough I will have it checked over to make sure it is still in good working order.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The Nikon F was the first serious SLF from Nikon in Japan in the late 1950s, and it was a serious hit. It's a significant entry in the history of cameras. From what I'm reading, your serial number indicates a relatively early example. The serial number of the first F was 6400001, and they were issued sequentially.

Your example shows some significant wear, but I suspect even with that wear,  it's got the potential for significant interest in the collecter community. Unfortunately, I don't have any direct pricing advice, but I suggest you shop it around reputable antique camera dealers.

--Everything below this line is a sig--

This post created with 100% recycled electrons.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/savvy-consumer%E2%80%99s-guide-pre-owned-collectible-and-vintage-...

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

"Black Fs generally fetch premium prices--an early vintage F recently sold for $899 on eBay and run-of the-mill black FTNs in clean shape go for about half that amount and fetch $500-$600 in stores. Early Fs with serial numbers beginning with "64" also fetch fancy prices, and a truly mint, unmodified, original F of '59 is still a collector's prize that's likely to set you back $1500-$2000."

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Note: This article is talking about the body only. The lenses and accessories will help with the value. Be prepared to describe them extensively, with detailed photos of each item.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

With what I'm seeing currently is another resurgence of Japanese used retail in cameras and lenses, even some old-new stock stuff from Hong Kong (although is it really Chinese repo?)  Nicer more uncommon and in collectible condition, an unknown market quanity. The F is an Icon, no one throws an F away even when they bottom out in value as they have several times...interest grows and dwindles, supply is huge. One or the other always catches up with rising markets trends. Now add an influx of unknown quanities pouring in from across the sea? 

With that serial number you would be safe not worrying about the value and just letting it go on auction, I think you're going to get peak value for what you have based on what you have. 

Do you you have records or history with it? And have any of the body screws have any kind of look they have been turned on or that the camera has been opened? If you can't offer reasonable acceptable info then don't count on bigger collectors when it comes to these ? Quality minded repair/serviceres did not return items with boogered up screw heads on their bodies like they would today and it's a sure fired sign they absolutely look for trust me.... boogered up screw heads, low class rookie amatuer servicing or worse kitchen table top home repairs ... perfect screw heads, you're in business... 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I ended up having the camera checked out by a camera shop and it is fine. The lenses are clear and seem to work fine so I did not get them checked. I do have some records of maintenance for it. The screws are in great shape so it should be good to go I hope!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply