cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to sue ebay for fraud

does anyone know how to sue ebay for fraud?

file police report against ebay. I dont want to go small claim court but file criminal charge or file law sue against ebay

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I'm sure an attorney would be able to assist you in suing eBay for fraud. Check your local yellow pages, there will be thousands of attorneys listed. Or use an online search engine to search for attorneys in your area. Consult with some of the attorneys, retain the one you feel best understands your case.

Best of luck to you, I wish you much success.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@virothyron 

What kind of fraud are you talking about?

There might be a simple solution.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

You should take legal counsel for a civil suit.  That lawyer will also be able to advise you in determining if there is a criminal case to take to a prosecutor. 

Be sure, when you consult the lawyer, to show him the User Agreement you entered into with eBay, especially Section 18, Legal Disputes:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259#18

Good luck.

-

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Go to the local police station if you want to pursue something 'criminal'. 

But we all know whatever happened, it wasn't criminal and probably not eBays fault. 

If you had a problem with a seller, that is between you and the seller.

If you had a problem with a buyer, even if they got a refund for a box of rocks- that is between you and that buyer.

If there is a 'hold' or you had an item 'removed'; that information that it 'could' happen is all in the Policies you agreed to when using this site. 

There are 'places' to report this stuff, but I won't go into it until you tell us your story.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

What did eBay do that you think was fraudulent?

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

As a buyer I purchased an item for over 5,000. And immediately after hitting the buy button realized seller was a fraud and provided no pickup address or contact info. I immediately attempted to stop the sale and ebay would not let me. So I attempted to contact them by phone and was further robbed by an Indian answering the phone as eBay and explaining how I would get my money back except they stole another 3200. From my bank account. If eBay didn't put buyers in the situation I was in by not giving a clear contact number I would not have lost 8,400+ dollars. I hold eBay responsible for serving the source of their revenue. Is it buy at your own risk

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

WHO took 3200 and how?

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

It sounds more like you were defrauded by a seller, not eBay.

Your situation sounds intriguing.  Care to return and give better details? 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Consult an attorney for all legal matters.

Please don't return asking for advice on how to consult an attorney for legal matters.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@kershcom wrote:

As a buyer I purchased an item for over 5,000. And immediately after hitting the buy button realized seller was a fraud and provided no pickup address or contact info. I immediately attempted to stop the sale and ebay would not let me. So I attempted to contact them by phone and was further robbed by an Indian answering the phone as eBay and explaining how I would get my money back except they stole another 3200. From my bank account. If eBay didn't put buyers in the situation I was in by not giving a clear contact number I would not have lost 8,400+ dollars. I hold eBay responsible for serving the source of their revenue. Is it buy at your own risk

How do you know the seller was a fraud?

The seller can't provide any contact information until after a transaction is done.

You can only request to have an order canceled, but the seller is not required to cancel.

Sounds like you found a phony phone number doing a search and you were not talking to Ebay and they had nothing to do with you loosing the $3200.00.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

So I attempted to contact them by phone and was further robbed by an Indian answering the phone as eBay and explaining how I would get my money back except they stole another 3200. From my bank account.

It sounds like you found an ad on a search engine placed by a scammer, not eBay. Most likely you were prompted to install remote desktop software on your computer to give access to the scammer, who then used that to get into your bank account.

Be sure to change all your passwords and check your computer thoroughly for any signs of software that might allow the scammer to get back into your machine:

https://www.wikihow.com/Detect-a-Remote-Access-to-My-Computer

Report the scammer's ad to the search engine you originally found it on, and if possible report the scammer's page to the host site.

Details of how to report such things are here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/report-a-scam-site/m-p/32282509/highlight/true#M52955

To contact eBay, use the Help & Contact link that appears on every eBay page.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Ebay doesn't have a phone number to support. It's done through chat and social media. If you found a number searching online it wasn't to eBay. It was to scammers who apparently took you for $3200. That's no more eBay's fault than the "eBay Motors" car scams so prevalent on FB Marketplace.

The irony is that all of this was unnecessary. First, it's impossible for a seller to immediately provide a pickup address and contact info after a sale. It's not possible to put it in the listing, and eBay hasn't yet perfected the technology to beam it into your hands the second the purchase is made. So you have no idea if the seller was a fraud. And even if they turned out to be a fraud, your purchase is covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee. If you're within the deadlines, it still is. You might want to hold off on suing eBay (which, btw, will go nowhere) and look into opening a case. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@kershcom wrote:

The number for eBay that you found online was NOT eBay. Let me guess, when you called, they made you install AnyDesk on your computer then log into your bank account?

T hat was NOT eBay. You can’t sue eBay for fraud committed by some random you called at a number you found on Google and not on the eBay website. Sorry.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

There aren't enough details for me to side with you or eBay. If they did you wrong, I hope you win even though lots of people are saying it's not worth it. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply