cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rules ?

I find it amusing that some sellers are so dishonest that they will ban any buyer that left them a neg, regardsless of the truth. Why does ebay allow this discrimination against the truth without investigating allegations of wrong doing   ?

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Rules ?

@highlow72-10,

Any seller can block any buyer for any reason they choose. If eBay were to notify sellers today, that they could no longer block members, they would stop selling.  You recently had an issue with a seller, came to these boards to complain and admitted:

"When I leave a neg I am very harsh and have had my negatives removed because of some PC sillyness regarding ebays stupid guidlines"

You called that seller incompetent, had a second feedback comment you left for them removed, and you still expect the seller to want to do business with you? Sorry but actions have consequences.

More importantly, if the seller is so "incompetent" why would you want to do business with them again, unless it was to take further action against them?  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

@highlow72-10 wrote:

Why does ebay allow this discrimination against the truth without investigating allegations of wrong doing   ?

You will find this to be a two way street.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

Ebay is a company with 10s of thousands of individual sellers.  Sellers who have very few protections.  Blocking a buyer - for any reason - is one of those protections.

1.  Why would you want to buy from someone you've had a negative experience with?

2. Why would you think someone would want to sell to you after you left them a neg?  Regardless of how well it might have been deserved?

Move on.  Find another seller.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

@highlow72-10 wrote:

I find it amusing that some sellers are so dishonest that they will ban any buyer that left them a neg, regardsless of the truth. Why does ebay allow this discrimination against the truth without investigating allegations of wrong doing   ?

To me, there seems to be nothing dishonest about it. It's part of doing business and I see it as a two way street. 

1. A seller may not want to do business with someone who has trashed them in the past (even after a refund is given). eBay is not going to force them to do otherwise.

2.A buyer may not want to buy from a seller he/she has had issues with in the past.

I guess I understand your frustration over this. However, there is no need for it. A seller has the right to choose who they do business with. It's that simple. I personally take leaving negative feedback seriously and it will have to be a truly bad experience for me to go that route ... especially when a seller has provided a refund. That's just wrong. I don't see eBay hiring investigators to police the bazillions of sellers for the purpose of investigating their selling preferences.

Energy flows where attention goes.

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

@highlow72-10 wrote:

When eBay starts "policing" my business, I'm "outta" here. Just saying.

Energy flows where attention goes.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

I'm sure I speak for the majority when I say thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

@highlow72-10

I find it amusing that some buyers are surprised that they get blocked.

Imagine being a seller & seeing all the proof that a potential buyer could cause problems for you as they have for so many other sellers. Now ask yourself this: "Am I willing to take a chance with this buyer?"

A smart seller will answer their own question with a very loud and heartfelt "No way!"

It is one of the few protections left for sellers.

IMO what Ebay needs to investigate is buyers that seem to have so many problems buying.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

Why would you want to buy from a seller that you negged?
Message 9 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

@highlow72-10 wrote:

Buying always has potential risks.

Don't buy again from someone who has harmed you.

Minimize your exposure to dishonest folks.

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

@highlow72-10 wrote:

Because just like a buyer can choose whom they wish to buy from, a seller can choose whom they wish to sell to.

It's immaterial because most likely the buyer won't care to do business with that seller again, so it's all good.  And it keeps the buyer from making the same mistake again.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

I think it depends on what the circumstances leading up to that refund were. Just a refund doesn't account for everything that transpired up to the refund, and so the neg may indeed be warranted.

I understand and respect what you are saying, I just think the whole situation should be taken into account, not just the (what may be reluctant and forced) refund.
Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

Frankly, a review of your feedback left for others makes me think that your posting this thread drawing attention to it may have an adverse effect on your ability to buy from some sellers. 

Of course, when it comes to eBay removing feedback in accordance to their rules, that is a matter only eBay can address.  Personally, I haven't put much faith in the feedback system  since 2008.  However, it does offer sellers the opportunity to check a buyer's feedback left for others and their bid retraction record.  Just as one's criminal record becomes a matter of public record, a buyer's feedback record, although somewhat skewed, is a public record in the world of eBay.  Unless, of course, a buyer sets theirs to private.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 13 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

What are problems that would cause a negative feedback ? Seems like the buyer was on the receiving end of the problem. If I as a customer am happy with the transaction then I leave a positive. 

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Rules ?

Long time since I have been on these boards but reading between the lines as a retired  Assistant  District Attorney, obviously all the facts have not been available to the public. Many times I had defendants come before me and ask for a second chance. Could it be that Highlow give this seller a second chance and the seller had a problem a second time which may or may not have cost the buyer time and money.  Personally I have seen many buyers on the EBAY site very touchy about getting value for their money. ( Which includes excelent customer service in that the only obligation a buyer has is to pay as soon as he clicks a buy now or wins the auction ) . I know some buyers who have to go through a lot  of procedural hoop jumping to protect their money. The reason I say that is I know for a fact that on Amazon Prime, if you have a problem you are taken care of within 48 hours , a far cry from the EBAY protocol.  The best advice I have seen is to move on and keep the blood pressure undercontrol. 

Message 15 of 39
latest reply