cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchase from major retailer arrived missing parts Now they're trying to get me to break eBay policy

Fun one as a buyer.  Bought some stuff from a major retailer on eBay.  Somewhere down the line one of the carriers either damaged the package or decided to steal from it.  When I received it the fiberglass reinforced paper tape had been modified, and someone had re-taped it poorly with some clear packing tape.  Inside the box was one of the three items that was supposed to be in it.

It was shipped UPS Surepost. I have already contacted my local post office and they are looking into it on their end.  UPS refuses to do anything for me since I am not the shipper.  Also apparently UPS takes no responsibility for deliveries they don't handle 100% of the way.

Opened a return for "Missing parts or pieces" since that was the relevant option.  I explained what happened and supplied pictures.  Two days later I get this wonderful message:

"I am sorry about your missing item but you will need to file an INR, Item Not Received Report and eBay will investigate and advise."

Funny thing is this advice would be a violation of eBay's policies regarding filing false claims.  I received the package with tracking confirmation.  INR cases are for when you don't get your purchase.  I kinda wonder if the seller just doesn't know how things work, or they are trying to cheat me out of a resolution.  Even if an INR case was the right option it would just close in the seller's favor since tracking shows delivery.

In the end I get why any seller would be skeptic.  They have no way to know if I am a lying liar, or an honest buyer.  I'm curious on how this will play out though.  I may not agree with how Amazon runs their site, but if I would have bought from Amazon this would have been instantly resolved.  I may have even gotten the missing stuff replaced within the two days I waited for a response.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Purchase from major retailer arrived missing parts Now they're trying to get me to break eBay po

It seems the buyer purchased 3 separate items and they were sent (or not) with combined shipping. 2 of the items are in fact INR, but unable to prove because the same tracking number appears on all 3 items. The buyer has 2 "received empty box" claims for the same tracking number. 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Re: Purchase from major retailer arrived missing parts Now they're trying to get me to break eBay po

@gwzcomps 

Wasn't there an option for receiving less than the quantity ordered? That's what you should have picked. Missing parts or pieces I believe would be used if you ordered 1 item and it was missing something. 

In this case, you didn't get 2 of the 3 you had ordered. I thought there was a separate option for that.

@d-k_treasures  Here are the options I have/had:

gwzcomps_0-1642030019227.png

Interestingly enough the option for Item Not Received is not available on a purchase where tracking shows delivered.  This explains why I haven't seen an INR case on delivered items in a while personally. 

Side note.  IMO this further confirms that I am not confused on what I should have done tyler@ebay .

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

@kathiec  Please feel free to link me to a single page that has every eBay policy listed and spelled out.  I am more than happy to wait.

If you will reread what I wrote, you will note that I never even hinted that there is a single page for every eBay policy. What I did say is that there is a single page that tells you what you need to know about eBay's Money Back Guarantee. Since you don't seem capable of finding the link on listings, you can find it here. I'll wait while you read it.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

@gwzcomps 

Wasn't there an option for receiving less than the quantity ordered? That's what you should have picked. Missing parts or pieces I believe would be used if you ordered 1 item and it was missing something. 

In this case, you didn't get 2 of the 3 you had ordered. I thought there was a separate option for that.

@d-k_treasures  Here are the options I have/had:

gwzcomps_0-1642030019227.png

Interestingly enough the option for Item Not Received is not available on a purchase where tracking shows delivered.  This explains why I haven't seen an INR case on delivered items in a while personally. 

Side note.  IMO this further confirms that I am not confused on what I should have done tyler@ebay .

@gwzcomps 

I THINK it might be under the last option - doesn't match description or photos. I do know there are screenshots of it posted in threads - has the quantity ordered and you enter the quantity received(or missing) to start the claim. If I remember who posted it, I'll tag them.

Well eBay has no interest in resolving this.  They want me to commit what I am pretty sure is mail fraud by sending an empty box back for a refund.  Talked to two more people that filed appeals with the same response.  Looks like I will let the bank deal with it.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

Inside the box was one of the three items that was supposed to be in it.

Well eBay has no interest in resolving this. They want me to commit what I am pretty sure is mail fraud by sending an empty box back for a refund

Indeed, eBay stated here that "Missing parts or pieces" is the correct reason 

- to send back the missing items, THE ITEMS WHICH YOU DON'T HAVE.

tyler@ebay wrote:
If I ordered quantity 2 of a single listing and only receive 1 I should open a Not as Described request (missing parts or pieces). 

But notice that eBay didn't respond further down when asked to confirm that

- it's not mail fraud to send an empty box to return the missing quantity.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply