cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with search

After 16 years, it seems I no longer know how to search on ebay. 😳

In the cat Kitchenware > salt & pepper shakers, I typed in range sets with 626 results. I then typed after that -style -Taiwan -repro -reproduction with 1398 results, and ebay changed the category to "All Categories".

What the heck am I doing wrong? (Sorry if this is the wrong board, I've been off ebay boards for years and didn't see a board for search.)

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Problems with search

eBay's "smart search" may be causing you problems -- eBay seems to want to change the category based on your search terms; and using exclusions will often kick you back into "All Categories". If you choose your keywords first and then change your categories you should be OK. I find bookmarking intermediate steps can be helpful if you are trying to craft a particularly complicated search.

What search terms were you using before you added the exclusions?

Part of the issue may be that there are two main categories where such items may appear: Kitchenware, and also Collectibles. You may be better off using separate searches for each, that way you can use the category-specific filters available in each category.

Here is my attempt at a search using salt pepper -style -Taiwan -repro -reproduction as keywords in the Collectibles > Kitchenware > Salt & Pepper Shakers > Range Sets category:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/13929/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=salt+pepper+-style+-Taiwan+-repro+-reproduction

Here is a more general search using salt pepper range -style -Taiwan -repro -reproduction in All Categories:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=salt+pepper+range+-style+-Taiwan+-...

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You are most welcome -- good luck with your searches!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply