cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plate vs solid gold or silver

1 Big Question why is evryone so worried about the weight content of say a sterling silver ring or necklace with or with chain or for that fact if its a hook lionk a figaro link its a O link, and whats the weight

when i buy any kind of genuine sterling silver of solid genuine gold never plate what a waste of time, and gold filled is good actually real good(PLATE) Never your saying why because if your like a lot of use the gold will scratch up really bad at times with the naked eye you might not pay it no attention but believe me the people around you as the plated jewlery floats thru the air you can see all the little scratches it has all over it under a 10x Jewlers eye its terrible, Ok Gold Filled it the actual content of the Karat weight say 10K 14K wow dont see much of that but anyways back in the day 10k Gold Filled Or 10K was the main Gold 95% of all jewlery is made out of anyways Gold Filled The Gold Is Taken In A Sheet Of The Pure Karat Weight Then Wrapped Around The Base Metal Which Most Of The Time It Was Bronze Or Copper So You Was Actually Wearing A 10K 14K  Jewlery 10 K Was Used More Than Any Oter Gold Back In The 40 & 50's 60's 70's 80's Till 2001 your probably saying why it's simple most if not all people has some sort of physical Job using there hands back then, and 10K was a much harder&stiffer precious metal it would not bend as easy and you could use toothpaste to polish the Little scratches off of if, and when you had any which that was normal unless it was Church time or going on a date You wwould polish your Gold up Real Pretty, Alsoo people would not say hey Mr, How Much Does That Weigh No Never They Would Pick Out There Jewlery at the jewlery store then and it was almst always 10K Yellow Gold Never Seen Much White Gold Or The Other precious metals of today 2018, Rather than buy white gold they would just buy Sterling is how it was always marked you knew it was pure 925 Silver &.75 base white metals of the time because a lot of people have alergic reactions to todays Gold, and other types of precious metal oter than sterling silver 925 plus it was a lot less exspensive than gold also now there was white gold but not much for that reason.Now when you go to the jewlery store, and buy a ring or chain do you say hey mister how much does tht weigh NO never. Thats something you should always realize unless your wanting to buy to melt some day who cares what the precious metal weighs on a ring a Bracelet a Necklace or a pendant always look at the Beauty the older A Piece Is Thats Been cosmetcally cleaned and polished back to its real shine and you know the gemstone is real they did not make lab created gems back in the Day 40 To 70 Years Ago they may heat treat the gem to bring out the beautful shine, sparkle, and color to a natural gem thats it even just about 10 years ago they may have made lab created gems but they are what they are colored glass fake gemstones with a new name believe me its colored glass and who wants a ring pulling there hand down from all the weight you always want a piece of Jewlery to fit you like a shoe very comfortible like a bracelet weighing 56 grams think about it thats 2 Ozs of 925 silver and could be a cast iron to give the weight the lighter in precious metals to waer daily or just once in a while is perfect witha beautiful natural Gemstone or a nice light weight chain like 8 grams with the Pendant another 8 or 9 grams your talking not laying nicely but pulling on your neck take it off theres a big line on the back of your neck for a Big Man well yes that would work the heigher the better but a Beautiful women she want to be petite in all ways not her fish hook Drop Earring earring puliing the hole out of her ear that hurts so remmeber you see a ring you like necklace with a pendant look at all the pictures i bet ladies when to wear this nice petite piece of jewlery you will thank this post 1 day also never buy a piece of sterling no where with what they call a patinia thats filth & dirt That Has been in the heat humidity turned Brown, Black Spotty & Ugly look for that piece thats been polished cleaned and shined and ask The Seller If They have used acid on the silver they should say no a good jewler like i know uses soap and water then polishs the piece up where you will thinks its new pleas, there's a lot of work that goes into restoring all jewlery the more vintage the more you want buy new you never get what you paid for, Dont worrie about the weight worry about the look vintage Jewlery will be dazzle you if correctly restored back to its original luster thanks for reading.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Plate vs solid gold or silver

@glenholstea-0 wrote:

@specialtywarehouse434 wrote:

1 Big Question why is evryone so worried about the weight content of say a sterling silver ring or necklace with or with chain or for that fact if its a hook lionk a figaro link its a O link, and whats the weight when i buy any kind of genuine sterling silver of solid genuine gold never plate what a waste of time, and gold filled is good actually real good(PLATE)

Never your saying why because if your like a lot of use the gold will scratch up really bad at times with the naked eye you might not pay it no attention but believe me the people around you as the plated jewlery floats thru the air you can see all the little scratches it has all over it under a 10x Jewlers eye its terrible

Ok Gold Filled it the actual content of the Karat weight say 10K 14K wow dont see much of that but anyways back in the day 10k Gold Filled Or 10K was the main Gold 95% of all jewlery is made out of anyways Gold Filled The Gold Is Taken In A Sheet Of The Pure Karat Weight Then Wrapped Around The Base Metal Which Most Of The Time It Was Bronze Or Copper So You Was Actually Wearing A 10K 14K  Jewlery 10 K Was Used More Than Any Oter Gold Back In The 40 & 50's 60's 70's 80's

Till 2001 your probably saying why it's simple most if not all people has some sort of physical Job using there hands back then, and 10K was a much harder&stiffer precious metal it would not bend as easy and you could use toothpaste to polish the Little scratches off of if, and when you had any which that was normal unless it was Church time or going on a date You wwould polish your Gold up Real Pretty,

Alsoo people would not say hey Mr, How Much Does That Weigh No Never They Would Pick Out There Jewlery at the jewlery store then and it was almst always 10K Yellow Gold Never Seen Much White Gold Or The Other precious metals of today 2018, Rather than buy white gold they would just buy Sterling is how it was always marked you knew it was pure 925 Silver &.75 base white metals of the time because a lot of people have alergic reactions to todays Gold, and other types of precious metal oter than sterling silver 925 plus it was a lot less exspensive than gold also now there was white gold but not much for that reason.

Now when you go to the jewlery store, and buy a ring or chain do you say hey mister how much does tht weigh NO never. Thats something you should always realize unless your wanting to buy to melt some day who cares what the precious metal weighs on a ring a Bracelet a Necklace or a pendant always look at the Beauty the older A Piece Is Thats Been cosmetcally cleaned and polished back to its real shine and you know the gemstone is real they did not make lab created gems back in the Day 40 To 70 Years Ago they may heat treat the gem to bring out the beautful shine, sparkle, and color to a natural gem thats it even just about 10 years ago they may have made lab created gems but they are what they are colored glass fake gemstones with a new name believe me its colored glass and who wants a ring pulling there hand down from all the weight you always want a piece of Jewlery to fit you like a shoe very comfortible like a bracelet weighing 56 grams think about it thats 2 Ozs of 925 silver and could be a cast iron to give the weight the lighter in precious metals to waer daily or just once in a while is perfect witha beautiful natural Gemstone or a nice light weight chain like 8 grams with the Pendant another 8 or 9 grams your talking not laying nicely but pulling on your neck take it off theres a big line on the back of your neck for a Big Man well yes that would work the heigher the better but a Beautiful women she want to be petite in all ways not her fish hook Drop Earring earring puliing the hole out of her ear that hurts so remmeber you see a ring you like necklace with a pendant look at all the pictures i bet ladies when to wear this nice petite piece of jewlery you will thank this post 1 day also never buy a piece of sterling no where with what they call a patinia thats filth & dirt That Has been in the heat humidity turned Brown, Black Spotty & Ugly look for that piece thats been polished cleaned and shined and ask The Seller If They have used acid on the silver they should say no a good jewler like i know uses soap and water then polishs the piece up where you will thinks its new pleas, there's a lot of work that goes into restoring all jewlery the more vintage the more you want buy new you never get what you paid for, Dont worrie about the weight worry about the look vintage Jewlery will be dazzle you if correctly restored back to its original luster thanks for reading.

I was going to try and break this mess down so I could read it but its really a useless rambling waste of time, sorry @specialtywarehouse434

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Not that I'm an expert on this subject, but....

Punctuation and paragraphing are your friends. I'll bet a fair number of people will give up on your post just because it's so hard to read. And some of those people who give up could be people well positioned to answer your question.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I'm sorry, OP, but that sentence -- and it appears to be almost all one sentence -- is unreadable.  I got perhaps 20% through it, and my old eyes gave up.  I'm sorry if English is not your native language, but that doesn't make it any easier to read and understand.

I'm not sure what you're asking; could you please rewrite it, using sentences, paragraphs, and white space (an extra line) between paragraphs?

If you have a question there are some very good people here who will be glad to help you, but first they have to be able to read what you've written.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Huh?
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

1 Big Question why is evryone so worried about the weight content of say a sterling silver ring or necklace with or with chain or for that fact if its a hook lionk a figaro link its a O link, and whats the weight when i buy any kind of genuine sterling silver of solid genuine gold never plate what a waste of time, and gold filled is good actually real good(PLATE)

Never your saying why because if your like a lot of use the gold will scratch up really bad at times with the naked eye you might not pay it no attention but believe me the people around you as the plated jewlery floats thru the air you can see all the little scratches it has all over it under a 10x Jewlers eye its terrible

Ok Gold Filled it the actual content of the Karat weight say 10K 14K wow dont see much of that but anyways back in the day 10k Gold Filled Or 10K was the main Gold 95% of all jewlery is made out of anyways Gold Filled The Gold Is Taken In A Sheet Of The Pure Karat Weight Then Wrapped Around The Base Metal Which Most Of The Time It Was Bronze Or Copper So You Was Actually Wearing A 10K 14K  Jewlery 10 K Was Used More Than Any Oter Gold Back In The 40 & 50's 60's 70's 80's

Till 2001 your probably saying why it's simple most if not all people has some sort of physical Job using there hands back then, and 10K was a much harder&stiffer precious metal it would not bend as easy and you could use toothpaste to polish the Little scratches off of if, and when you had any which that was normal unless it was Church time or going on a date You wwould polish your Gold up Real Pretty,

Alsoo people would not say hey Mr, How Much Does That Weigh No Never They Would Pick Out There Jewlery at the jewlery store then and it was almst always 10K Yellow Gold Never Seen Much White Gold Or The Other precious metals of today 2018, Rather than buy white gold they would just buy Sterling is how it was always marked you knew it was pure 925 Silver &.75 base white metals of the time because a lot of people have alergic reactions to todays Gold, and other types of precious metal oter than sterling silver 925 plus it was a lot less exspensive than gold also now there was white gold but not much for that reason.

Now when you go to the jewlery store, and buy a ring or chain do you say hey mister how much does tht weigh NO never. Thats something you should always realize unless your wanting to buy to melt some day who cares what the precious metal weighs on a ring a Bracelet a Necklace or a pendant always look at the Beauty the older A Piece Is Thats Been cosmetcally cleaned and polished back to its real shine and you know the gemstone is real they did not make lab created gems back in the Day 40 To 70 Years Ago they may heat treat the gem to bring out the beautful shine, sparkle, and color to a natural gem thats it even just about 10 years ago they may have made lab created gems but they are what they are colored glass fake gemstones with a new name believe me its colored glass and who wants a ring pulling there hand down from all the weight you always want a piece of Jewlery to fit you like a shoe very comfortible like a bracelet weighing 56 grams think about it thats 2 Ozs of 925 silver and could be a cast iron to give the weight the lighter in precious metals to waer daily or just once in a while is perfect witha beautiful natural Gemstone or a nice light weight chain like 8 grams with the Pendant another 8 or 9 grams your talking not laying nicely but pulling on your neck take it off theres a big line on the back of your neck for a Big Man well yes that would work the heigher the better but a Beautiful women she want to be petite in all ways not her fish hook Drop Earring earring puliing the hole out of her ear that hurts so remmeber you see a ring you like necklace with a pendant look at all the pictures i bet ladies when to wear this nice petite piece of jewlery you will thank this post 1 day also never buy a piece of sterling no where with what they call a patinia thats filth & dirt That Has been in the heat humidity turned Brown, Black Spotty & Ugly look for that piece thats been polished cleaned and shined and ask The Seller If They have used acid on the silver they should say no a good jewler like i know uses soap and water then polishs the piece up where you will thinks its new pleas, there's a lot of work that goes into restoring all jewlery the more vintage the more you want buy new you never get what you paid for, Dont worrie about the weight worry about the look vintage Jewlery will be dazzle you if correctly restored back to its original luster thanks for reading.

I was going to try and break this mess down so I could read it but its really a useless rambling waste of time, sorry @specialtywarehouse434

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@glenholstea-0 wrote:

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Please read and understand take your time no one is perfect just trying to help our Jewlery Buyers with precious metals and the reason why vintage only no new waste of money Thank You
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Please read and understand take your time no one is perfect just trying to help our Jewlery Buyers with precious metals and the reason why vintage only no new waste of money Thank You

The point everyone is trying to make is that they tried to read, but you just weren't communicating on a minimally comprehensible level.

It's great that you're trying to help people, but unless you communicate clearly nobody is going to have the patience to cut through the confusion.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@specialtywarehouse434,

We understand you are trying to help people, and no one is perfect, but you do not go fishing for Bass using a whole roast as bait, That is how you fish for Sharks. 

In other words take the time to break down your topic into bite size pieces. Or type it out on a computer, and do not voice text.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I fail to see anything remotely helpful in this post.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Alas!  Your original post is almost impossible to read, OP.

However, with regard to precious metals, I believe, "Solid" would refer to an item made entirely of the metal.  "Filled" would refer to an item that has a layer of the precious metal bonded to a non-precious metal base.  The minimum thickness of that layer is regulated by law.  "Plated" refers to a very thin layer of the precious metal bonded to a base by the process of electroplating.  With this process the layer of precious metal deposited on the base is very thin.

Another thing that needs to be considered is the amount of the actual precious metal in alloy making up the precious metal of the piece.  The purity of the alloy.  For example:  24K (99.5% and above = Pure Gold), 22K (Alloy of 22 parts gold and 2 parts other metals), etc. are common gold alloys used in jewelry.  The other metals used in the alloy determine the color, such as yellow gold, white gold, green gold and rose gold.  Fine silver (99.9% pure silver) and sterling silver (92.5% pure silver) are commonly used in jewelry making.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Was that typo or is that really what you wanted to say in that one line? Its a little more than half way down or a little more.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

yup

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Some buyers are interested in the weight of the gold or silver because they're buying it as an investment and hoping that the price of gold and silver will go up. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply