cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal-Amex payment

When i make a purchase , press buy now I'm redirected to my PayPal account. I have three cards saved if I Select amex as the card to use. 

I then press the pay button and get a thanks for using PayPal and the rotating timer. But it won't actually place the order or get passed this screen. 

If I go through the process again, but in PayPal use one of my other saved cards the transaction is placed. 

What's going on here? It can't be the seller not taking amex as it's a PayPal transaction isn't it?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Paypal-Amex payment

@25ncjimmy wrote:

What's going on here? It can't be the seller not taking amex as it's a PayPal transaction isn't it?

Right, you don't buy that, either. Adyen won't take Amex at eBay Checkout when the item being purchased is on the Adyen taboo list. Or if the fees on purchase amount would be unprofitable e.g. Amex would charge Adyen 2% for that transaction, but by contract Adyen can only charge eBay e.g. 1.5% which would be a loss, so Adyen declines that specific transaction.

PayPal on the other hand cannot decline a transaction based on a taboo list because eBay does not tell PayPal what's the item being purchased, just the total. Instead @25ncjimmy your Amex is declining the purchase, which is the delay you see before it fails. Call their UK number, give Amex that date and time, and ask what's the problem.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Paypal-Amex payment

@25ncjimmy,

"What's going on here? It can't be the seller not taking amex as it's a PayPal transaction isn't it?"

There have been reports of Amex payments having long delays before it is credited to a seller's account, because of Managed Payments.  As a result some sellers no longer accept Amex payments.  When you go to check out you may see Amex not accepted on the Checkout screen

mudshark61369_0-1652876379962.png

You can easily miss that if you are used to just selecting PayPal.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Paypal-Amex payment

@25ncjimmy wrote:

Right, you don't buy that, either. Adyen won't take Amex at eBay Checkout when the item being purchased is on the Adyen taboo list. Or if the fees on purchase amount would be unprofitable e.g. Amex would charge Adyen 2% for that transaction, but by contract Adyen can only charge eBay e.g. 1.5% which would be a loss, so Adyen declines that specific transaction.

PayPal on the other hand cannot decline a transaction based on a taboo list because eBay does not tell PayPal what's the item being purchased, just the total. Instead @25ncjimmy your Amex is declining the purchase, which is the delay you see before it fails. Call their UK number, give Amex that date and time, and ask what's the problem.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Paypal-Amex payment

Called amex they recommended clear cach, which i did, no change. I then delated and re installed eBay. Still no change, i also have Google pay associated with eBay and amex used instead that and it worked fine .

So still getting my airmiles, thanks for the help all 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply