cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misclassified items to avoid Ebay buyer protection

I purchased a watch well above retail price and have not even had a shipped mark on my order.

I contacted the seller and nothing. I was unable to request cancellation or refund because the item has been misclassified to avoid buyer protection however is obviously now a scam.

I looked again and noticed hundreds of listings using this same scam all from new accounts with no recourse from ebay protection since there is no disputing this.

Other then disputing from my bank what are my options, this is clearly a scam widespread and im amazed ebay hasn't responded yet.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Were this listings on eBay.com or on another website like Facebook?

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

@braover_14 

Ebay is aware of it, but don't know what they are going to do about it.

You need to contact CS to get help with it.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Thank you so much,

how do I go about that, the phone number just points me to the help page and the help page tells me no.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@braover_14 

The Category scam is ongoing and widespread.

You should be able to get a refund from eBay as they aware of this and other scams currently circulating - but only IF you haven't opened a claim with your payment source.

Go to this linked page below, left side, click "Have us call you" or "Chat with us"(live chat, not bot)

https://www.ebay.com/help/contact_us?id=4002&st=10

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@braover_14 wrote:

an example i found in about 2 seconds

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284736251584?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao...

Link goes no where..........

Was the seller in N.Zealand?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

That particular listing has been removed, but there are other similar listings in the Warranty & Insurance category, which is apparently exempt from the eBay Money Back Guarantee:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Warranty-Insurance-Services/175815/bn_2313959?rt=nc&_dmd=1&_pgn=1

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

but there are other similar listings in the Warranty & Insurance 

@eburtonlab 

Oh, my!   The fake listings are being added at a very fast rate.  Guess that 'mis'category doesn't employ any seller limits for new sellers with zero feedback either.  I don't think ebay's excuse for throwing buyers of these items under the bus (that category has no MBG, so sorry to be you) is likely sustainable once the chargebacks start rolling in. 

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

but there are other similar listings in the Warranty & Insurance 

@eburtonlab 

Oh, my!   The fake listings are being added at a very fast rate.  Guess that 'mis'category doesn't employ any seller limits for new sellers with zero feedback either.  I don't think ebay's excuse for throwing buyers of these items under the bus (that category has no MBG, so sorry to be you) is likely sustainable once the chargebacks start rolling in. 

But most are listed under 2 categories, like the other posts about the camera. Why wouldn't it be covered under that? Especially(the cameras anyway) are in the camera category as the 1st category.

yeah what i bought was not cheap haha,

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

You will certainly get refunded by eBay just keep contacting customer support, facebook. 

On eBay call eBay CS and request to speak with Fraud dapartament. They may hang up on you multiple times because eBay CS is mostly untrained and have no idea about this scam.

There are/were other stories and as long as you don't give up and keep on drilling eBay about it - You will get refund.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@eburtonlab 

Using the link for the category you provided  ( on 4/3 post #8) today 4/7,  choose best match, and another with newly listed produced only ONE actual listing for a warranty (SquareTrade) in the first 5 pages I viewed.   The rest is all merchandise, which is proffered by new zero feedback sellers.  

There are the usual amazing (too good to be true) deals on cameras, designer goods, iPhones,  Crypto miners, etc.   Would hate to see the "sold" listings in that category. 

Got to wonder how these perps get paid?  No MBG might provide enough of a "stall", or there is always the fake tracking scam???

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

How would a casual or new buyer understand that these are not covered by MBG? The only indication is no little MBG box at the top. But even the MGB box doesn't say the particular item you are looking at is covered just that there is a thing called MBG. \

Since categories are basically non-existent (super small type at top) and people look for things via search primarily, how do they even know they are looking at like items in different categories.

These scams are totally foreseeable by eBay ( I would use the foreseeable word when discussing since that's a criteria for negligence). They are a logical extension of the way people use the site for good and bad.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

I hope eBay is better at preventing those scammers from getting away with the proceeds of those transactions than eBay is at stopping the listings from being posted or at taking them down. But I suspect that if eBay was actually preventing the scammers from profiting, the scammers would not bother to keep posting those listings.

I count sixty newly-listed item listings in that category, not counting any that have already been purchased.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply