cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my money and my coupon but won my case.

OK  short version.... I bought shoes and seller never shipped.  Seller supplied bogus tracking and a bogus tracking update that showed they had shipped and item was delivered.   I had to go to UPS to get proof that nothing had been shipped to me or my address and UPS confirmed that I had not gotten any shipment from the seller.   Ebay found in favor of my case and said I won and would be refunded..... RIGHT!    I paid the seller with money and an eBay coupon and eBay on the phone said I would be refunded for both within 48 hours.   FAST FORWARD.... now they are saying 3 to 5 days on the money and they won't refund the coupon because it is now out of date.  SAY WHAT?   A $25 coupon is lost because the seller didn't ship?  HOW DO I MOVE FORWARD WITH THIS?  Any suggestions?     AS of right now,  I'm out my money, my coupon, and a lot of time trying to get back what I lost.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

SCREAMING YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!  By gum I got the full refund for my cash, taxes, shipping, and coupon returned to me as promised by eBay buyer guarantee.   As a seller I don't like a lot of the things they do, but as a buyer , well it's nice to have someone  CYA when things go astray.  Wasn't easy, wasn't fun, but I did get my full refund.

So, thanks to those of you who bothered to note here.... I enjoyed the comments and found them useful in one way or another.  Godspeed folks... Boo to You... Happy Halloween!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Let's just say the item was $50. You paid $25 and added the coupon for the other $25. You'll be reimbursed $50.

At least that's been my experience with a refund that involved a coupon. The CS reps aren't always fully informed about these out-of-the-ordinary transactions. (See how polite I was about that? LOL!)

You should see the refund show up on your funding source shortly. PLEASE COME BACK AND UPDATE THIS THREAD to let us know how the refund turned out . . .

*fingers crossed*

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@pburn, I had a similar situation recently, when I got a $25 coupon, and my experience was the same as @akejama's: I lost part of the coupon when I had to return one of the items I ordered. I used it to purchase two items, but when I received one (a DVD set) one of the discs didn't work. So I had to file SNAD and return it.

I was promptly refunded the entire amount that I had paid for the DVD set, as it showed in my PayPal account, BUT --  the amount that had come from the coupon was returned to "the coupon" not to me, and I only received the rest of the amount which had been charged to my card. 

Total payment:          $ 10.48

Refund to coupon:  $ 7.75  (lost because it was one-time use only)

Refund to CC:           $ 2.73 (returned to my credit card)

So, I lost part of the coupon ($7.75) but I still got a good deal on the other item, because they had allocated the rest of the coupon ($25 - $7.75 = $17.25) to that purchase.

In my experience, this is how eBay coupons always work. If the transaction is cancelled or refunded for any reason, you lose the coupon.

eBay bucks are different, if a transaction paid with eBay Bucks is cancelled or refunded, the amount is credited back to your eBay Bucks with a new coupon code issued, and you get a reasonable amount of time to use it.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Now, see . . . that's just plain ol' wrong--and miserly of eBay.

I didn't remember my coupon experience that way, but there are a million reasons why it might have been different--including that I don't remember it correctly.

Either way, it stinks.  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Actually, it took several contacts which didn't go well before I got someone that   helped me.    I have been issued a refund coupon which I immediately used before someone could change their minds.  I can't report that my $ from winning the case have been refunded yet, but I'm still hopeful.   I wish they would send a confirming notice that the refund transaction has taken place so I don't have to go look all the time.  Honestly the effort to get refunded almost isn't worth it.  I've spent hours to recoup around $50.  because people kept telling me no even though I'd won my case.  It is hard for me to understand the problem.  The gist of it was...they would refund the $25 coupon but I couldn't use it because it has expired.   See the problem?  Finally a nice person at eBay said that makes no sense and they called someone who sent me to someone that actually exercised common sense and issued me a new coupon that was usable.  ONCE I GOT TO THE RIGHT FOLKS IT WENT WONDERFULLY AND QUICKLY.    Up till then it was a giant pain.  So the take away is, IF YOU HAVE TIME and KNOW YOU ARE RIGHT don't give up.  There  are people at eBay that do care and will help....the trick is you have to find them.  Tomorrow I start trying to get my $27 of actual money from the case put back into my account.  When that's done I'll come back and let you know and close this thread.  I love eBay when they "listen" but honestly sometimes you need a ball bat to get their attention.  First contact people spout rules and regulations with no "common sense".  Once you get passed that bunch, you can usually get something done.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

SCREAMING YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!  By gum I got the full refund for my cash, taxes, shipping, and coupon returned to me as promised by eBay buyer guarantee.   As a seller I don't like a lot of the things they do, but as a buyer , well it's nice to have someone  CYA when things go astray.  Wasn't easy, wasn't fun, but I did get my full refund.

So, thanks to those of you who bothered to note here.... I enjoyed the comments and found them useful in one way or another.  Godspeed folks... Boo to You... Happy Halloween!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply