cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this too good to be true?

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a new monitor and found this one on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U2FDO4C/ref=psdc_428652031_t3_B013FOMTV0

However, i obviously prefer Ebay 😉 

So upon searching Ebay, i find it much cheaper. The average is around 350 from Amazons 420.

Then i see one person selling it for 285 - which is so much cheaper than everything else. It's said to be new, the exact same monitor as the Amazon one and i'm very confused here - is this for real???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-XG270HU-27-WQHD-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor-27-Display-TN-Panel-Type/382...

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@shanmoffat-8,

The place to post this would be on Amazon's community boards, but they closed them.

I would say if a price is too good to be true, then it probably is.  However, read the decription carefully and check out Amazons buyer protections before buying.  I don't use Amazon myself but my wife does and when I have looked at things from her account, she has told me to pass up items not shipped from one of their warehouses.  Maybe someone else who is an Amazon user can tell you more a little later.  It's only 7:30am here in the US Eastern Time zone.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

OOPs,

I haven't had enough coffee yet and missed the second link.  The best way to decide if the seller is one you want to trust is to check their feedback profile. You do that by clicking on the number of feedback they have.  On the page that opens you can click on the numbers of nonpositive feedback they have received to read only those comments.  Myself, I would find another seller. 

Therre are several legitimate reasons why some sellers offer items at lower prices.  However, for something like the monitor chances are the seller is not an authorized dealer, so there will be no manufacturer's warranty. If that model monitor has been replaced by a newer one, chances are the seller bought out some old stock from another store, at a good price.  I'd look on the MFR's site to see if that model is still being sold, or if it has been replaced.  I'd also look up reviews to see how old they are.  Items removed from MFR's sites may not carry any warranty any longer.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

"i'm very confused here - is this for real???"

Well shan, I simply clicked on the negative feedback's for the seller (45)  5919 positive, then 40 neutrals over the past 12 months, and based on that? I'd think twice.  That said? as a buyer you are SO covered by eBay, least ways you are with sellers in general, but a seller like this, a seller who looks to make a lot of money for eBay? tricky.

IF I was to go for it, I'd pay via credit card for the real protection credit card transactions offer (and backed up) BY LAW with regard to a purchase of £100+ ...simply pay off the credit card seconds after the purchase, (or any time B4 charges would be applied), and you will be safe. Smiley Wink 

Re feedback...

I do wish it was possible to be more specific with feedback when dealing with a seller of many different items, as what you would be interested in, is feedback specific to a previous purchase of the item in question I guess. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@marglu66,

"IF I was to go for it, I'd pay via credit card for the real protection credit card transactions offer (and backed up) BY LAW with regard to a purchase of £100+ ...simply pay off the credit card seconds after the purchase, (or any time B4 charges would be applied), and you will be safe".

Ebay's protections are very good if members follow the terms and time frames of the Money Back Guarantee (MBG). If the problem is not as described the seller has to pay the return shipping.

If a buyer lets the MBG time frames pass, they have resolution through Paypal for up to 180 days after they pay.  Though for not as described, the buyer pays return shipping.  Refunds for item not received are processed fairly quickly, if the seller cannot prove they shipped an item.

If a buyer uses their credit card with Paypal, but files with the card provider first, Paypal does not like that because they lose a bit of money when that happens. If they do that too many times PayPal may limit resolution cases or place restrictions on the buyers account. 

Beyond that a credit card provider has to take the same steps PayPal does before they can do a chargeback. The buyer pays the return shipping if the provider decides the item has to be returned first. These days many card providers only offer protections from 90-120 days. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@marglu66,

"IF I was to go for it, I'd pay via credit card for the real protection credit card transactions offer (and backed up) BY LAW with regard to a purchase of £100+ ...simply pay off the credit card seconds after the purchase, (or any time B4 charges would be applied), and you will be safe".

Ebay's protections are very good if members follow the terms and time frames of the Money Back Guarantee (MBG). If the problem is not as described the seller has to pay the return shipping.

If a buyer lets the MBG time frames pass, they have resolution through Paypal for up to 180 days after they pay.  Though for not as described, the buyer pays return shipping.  Refunds for item not received are processed fairly quickly, if the seller cannot prove they shipped an item.

If a buyer uses their credit card with Paypal, but files with the card provider first, Paypal does not like that because they lose a bit of money when that happens. If they do that too many times PayPal may limit resolution cases or place restrictions on the buyers account. 

Beyond that a credit card provider has to take the same steps PayPal does before they can do a chargeback. The buyer pays the return shipping if the provider decides the item has to be returned first. 

Have you ever filed a chargeback? They don’t go through the same steps as PayPal. The cardholder does not return the item first. For a SNAD chargeback, PayPal doesn’t even fight the C/B. Which is exactly why sellers here are encouraged to resolve things before it comes down to a chargeback because if a chargeback is filed, the seller is out an addition $20 plus the item. And PayPal has a return shipping program anyway so you can file a c/b and return it in PayPal’s dime if it comes to that. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@missjen831

Hi Jen

For me, I'm not all that bothered about the In's and Out's of any eBay/paypal conditions in relation to a purchase going wrong for any reason, and I'm absolutely not interested in any so called eBay protection. I'd just prefer the purchase to go through without the need to "click on a link".  

Some forum members seem to have a link for every situation, often in an attempt to convince us that we can trust eBay, well...I don't.

Other members supply the same links because they wish to help, and genuinely believe in the integrity of eBay, well, to them I say good luck with that BUT thank you, sincerely all the same. 

I think that eBay will stick the knife in our backs , be we buyer or seller (eBay's not fussy, yet more so sellers methinks)  as and when it's in the best interests...of eBay, while finding a way round any "condition".

For buyers (honest or otherwise) eBay is a fantastic site, but as a seller? you've got to take it 1 sale at a time, and keep yer fingers crossed.

All the best to you Jen.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply