cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incident police report

I just received an email from eBay saying I need to file an incident report with my local police department to receive a refund..the tracking says it's delivered but I never received the item I paid 264 for an iPhone 8 plus 64 GB what should I do in this situation? Should I go thru with it and file the report?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Incident police report

Not sure what you are asking. If you want your $ and ebay says to XYZ, you obviously need to do XYZ.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I would do it if eBay says they will refund you.

Usually if an item shows delivered to your address there is no refund.

Buyers are responsible for supplying a safe place for delivery and theft after delivery is not covered for a refund.

Im surprised eBay is even offering a refund with a police report.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Yes. First file a missing mail search through USPS here (be sure and indicate that you suspect theft). After you file the search report, you'll be given a confirmation page with a Search ID # - print/screenshot the confirmation page with the ID.

Take a copy of your missing mail report to the police station and file a police report. Get a signed/stamped copy of the report when you're finished and submit it to eBay.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Look up the date and time it was delivered and go to the post office with the information and tell them what is going on.  They will have a record of what time it was scanned delivered and what employee delivered it.  If you have a security camera, or if the neighbors do you can ask them to check it out for you at that time stamp.  Otherwise it looks like a scam, and I am not saying it is a scam. Especially on a high dollar purchase.

That is the reason eBay is asking for a report, Without any kind of proof that can't just give you a refund on your word only.  You can also file a claim with the USPS to get your money back. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Yes, then after that, try asking eBay if they can get proof of the correct shipping label, from the seller. Like a copy of the label, or a receipt.  Something other than just a tracking number... That'll shift a bit of responsibility onto eBay, and, in my opinion, the way the MBG policy is structured, that type of responsibility should fall into eBay's lap...

But you'll need to follow the recommendations, and you'll get more recommendations, here.

Good luck

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

The first thing I would do would be to contact the delivering carrier (USPS, FEDEX, UPS, etc) and get the GPS co-ordinates of where they delivered the package. You will need it for any claims you file. If the GPS shows your residence, you will need to file a police report. If it delivered to someplace else, you have a strong case, especially if filing a credit card chargeback. Need I say that IPhones are some of the most scammed items on this site ? Have heard a bunch of stories where the item was delivered to a nearby business, and the package delivered was actually a letter or low priced item. The "seller" then states the "item" was delivered during the claims process.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Was the tracking traceable showing the history of the package right to your address? Like USPS or others where you can view the package point to point movement? If so, then have you checked with neighbors to see if it was delivered there? Could the package have been stolen from your property by a porch pirate?

Other than that, is the tracking bogus, something sent to your zip-code but not your address?

If the tracking shows delivered to your address, then the police are not going to do anything.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Sounds like another case of the fake tracking number scam.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@shameicolive_0 

Was/IS this email in your eBay messages?  

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I'd make sure the message actually came from eBay because I have never heard of eBay offering a refund with a police report.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@shameicolive_0 

Contact the carrier to see if the package was even addressed to you?

If it wasn't, get a letter stating that the package with that tracking number was not addressed to you, then use the letter and police report to appeal the case.

Happy Easter
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Yes and I got it in my Gmail as well

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@aproudparent2010 wrote:

I'd make sure the message actually came from eBay because I have never heard of eBay offering a refund with a police report.

I've seen this request reported several times 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

eBay

RE: Appealing a decision as a buyer SR# 1-333276692253

Hello Shameicy ,

Thanks for contacting us about Apple iPhone 8 Plus 64GB 128GB 256GB Factory Unlocked Excellent Condition (164885415287). I’m sorry to hear there was an issue with your purchase. I understand that you didn't receive your item however tracking shows item was delivered to your location.https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tRef=fullpage&tLc=2&tLabels=94001082054972142318...

To allow us to proceed, we need you to file an incident report with your local police or law enforcement agency to confirm that there is a problem. Filing an incident report is generally free of charge and easy to do.

The report should contain the following:

Description of the item 

Name of the officer filing the report

Badge number of the officer filing the report

Incident report number

Station location (city and state)

Station phone number

Once you receive the incident report, please scan it or take a clear digital photograph of it.

You can upload it via this link:

https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/mudcwf?deptName=USMemberAppeals

The document uploader is easy to use and contains information on file types and sizes allowed. Please select the General information document type and add 1-333276692253 in the Comments section. This allows us to track your documents and respond more quickly. Once you upload your documents and hit Send, please wait for confirmation that everything was submitted.

Note that if the police can’t provide you with an incident report, we’ll also accept a police reference number. We’ll need the precinct location, phone number, and officer name to accompany this. You can send these details to us by simply replying to this email. Please don’t change the subject heading if you do so.

We placed this case on hold for 10 calendar days to give you time to file and send the report. We need to receive it by June 18 , 2021. Once we receive and confirm the report, we’ll close the case in your favor and send you a refund.

If we don’t hear from you within 10 calendar days, we’ll close the case and you won’t receive a refund.

We greatly appreciate the time you’re investing to get this information to us. We look forward to working with you to resolve this case.

Thanks,

Andres .

eBay Customers Service

Message 15 of 23
latest reply