cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GETTING HELP WITH A REPAIR ISSUE . UNDER WARRENTY

PURCHASED  TWO AUTO  DVD RADIO PLAYERS. item number 1 only worked 3 months. SELLER WANTS TO SELL ME A NEW UNIT. Would like to get it repaired...

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Warranties are provided by manufacturers not sellers.  Most manufacturers do not provide warranty service for items sold by online sites as most sellers are not authorized distributors for the manufacturer.  You are beyond eBay's money back guaranty.  If you paid through your PayPal account that site provides 180 days from payment buyer protection but you have to pay the return shipping charges to get a refund.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@blktechman1 wrote:

PURCHASED  TWO AUTO  DVD RADIO PLAYERS. item number 1 only worked 3 months. SELLER WANTS TO SELL ME A NEW UNIT. Would like to get it repaired...

I'm just not sure what you're asking, @blktechman1. Are you asking whether it's a good idea to buy a new unit from the same seller who already sold you a defective unit? If that's your questions, I guess I'd have to say no.

As far as getting the item repaired, are you asking whether the seller has any obligation to pay for those repairs? Or perform those repairs? The seller is certainly under no obligation to do either as far as eBay is concerned. The eBay Money Back Guarantee lasts only 30 days from the delivery date of the item. You're way past that . . .

Generally speaking, warranties are good when issued directly from the manufacturer or an authorized dealer of the product. Was the seller also the manufacturer? Was the seller an authorized dealer for the product? Warranties are usually honored only for the first purchaser of the item and generally do not pass down to the next owner of the product. (Automobile warranties are one of the exceptions.)

So, if you'd like to provide A LOT more detail about this particular transaction and the seller and the item and the warranty, perhaps someone could give you a better answer.

You have 180 days from the purchase date to pursue a return/refund via PayPal if that is how you paid for the item. You would be required to return the item at your own expense.

If a PayPal dispute fails, and you paid with a credit card, you could also try to pursue a claim with your credit card issuer. Dispute resolution varies among credit card issuers, so you'd have to contact yours to find out the details.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Many, if not most, manufacturer's warranties are not transferable.  So if the seller is not an authorized retailer of the item the warranty would end with him.  Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if the warranty is still valid?

Being that the first one only worked for three months, I'd be a bit leery about buying another from him.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 4
latest reply