cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

I purchased a few pair of earrings items from a seller. There was no size or description but the title said beads. They were so large and I heavy I had to return. I realize original shipping is non-refundable and I pay to return (no problem). Seller didn’t send a label and eBay gave address to ship in person so I did, GA $5.00. Then the seller also took $5.22 off my return for return shipping! This is the most fraudulent situation I’ve witnessed on eBay and the only real scam personally. eBay will do nothing. Even removed the feedback I gave; my USPS receipt! I’m filing with the BBB and USPS but why would eBay allow me to literally be taken? It’s so shameful on both. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Fraud

$5.22 sounds like that is what the seller paid for shipping.

What did you pay without shipping, and then- for the added shipping, originally?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

@happykids365 wrote:

1. I realize original shipping is non-refundable

2. and I pay to return (no problem).

3. Seller didn’t send a label and

4. eBay gave address to ship in person

5. so I did, GA $5.00.

6. Then the seller also took $5.22 off my return for return shipping

Was your refund also reduced for the original shipping, @happykids365

xaxa59_0-1691431835694.jpeg

And was the $5.22 deducted from your refund because eBay thought you got a $5.22 eBay return label?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

I contacted an eBay rep. They said they realized I had been taken in by mail fraud but couldn’t do anything about it. I paid a total of $15.22 in shipping charges. Original and return and a the $5.22 I was scammed out of. eBay knows the seller did not provide a label. I sent my P.O. receipt. Also gave the receipt as feedback and eBay removed it for the seller!? I reported them to the BBB and I retained a lawyer yesterday morning to sue the seller in small claims court. I’ve additionally began the process of Mail fraud charges with the federal government. This is absolutely crazy that eBay ‘can’t do anything’ so I am. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

>>  I reported them to the BBB and I retained a lawyer yesterday morning to sue the seller in small claims court. I’ve additionally began the process of Mail fraud charges with the federal government.  <<

Hi @happykids365 

Wow!  That's a lot of fire power over what is likely a mistake.  [Nobody takes the trouble to scam another for only $5.22.]

When eBay or the seller provides a shipping label ... the buyer is only charged for it if its used.  If you paid the return shipping yourself ... there wasn't any mechanism for charging you for an unused label.

BTW, attorneys aren't allowed in small claims court ... so it sounds like you are in the midst of another scam if an attorney told you they would sue in small claims court.

Truthfully, I haven't been able to track everything you've described ... so don't know how to help you in a more reasonable manner than you're trying to help yourself.  I just know there must be some glitch or misunderstanding in your return process that is causing confusion.

The best place to get help from eBay currently is on social media.  The reps there are the most knowledgeable and helpful ... and I would contact someone there to try to sort out what happened.  Here's the links:

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Let us know if you get help there.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

There was no size or description but the title said beads.

@happykids365 

If the seller did not provide a description (typically it should include size, material, condition, etc.) why on earth did you purchase without asking?  

FWIW, not including a description does not exempt a seller form a 'not as described' claim by the buyer. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

You aren't charged for a return shipping label on eBay unless you use one provided.  If the seller refunded minus $10.44 $5.22 original and deducted $5.22 for return eBay would be able to get your the additional $5.22.  

Small claims court over $5.22 seems excessive 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

eBay did not provide a label. eBay gave me the address to ship at the PO.  eBay said seller can refund a single cent and get away with the rest! The lawyer is to stop this person from continuing the Mail fraud. That’s a federal offense. And over multiple persons, the amounts add up and they keep getting their junk back to resell and continue the process. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

No label was given. Address was given to ship to. eBay rep said the seller could refund a single cent and keep the rest and there’s nothing to be done about it. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

Good point. I absolutely should have asked. Misleading seems to be happening often any more. I was trying to be kind by not using not as described for the return reason so they wouldn’t have to pay. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

I don’t have social media. eBay rep said any seller could literally refund a single cent of hundreds of dollars and because they issued something, eBay can’t do anything. That’s some scary stuff right there. Conversation was recorded so…

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

eBay knows there was no label given. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

Original ship charge was $5.00. Return shipping was $5.00. The seller kept an additional $5.22 of my refund as well and will not answer as to why or what they were thinking. I originally thought it was a mistake. The zero communication tells me the facts. It was intended. They get their junk back and keep as much of the refund over $0.01 as they want and the process continues over and over. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

Yes, $5.00 for original shipping, $5.00 to ship back and $5.22 additionally for unknown reasons. Originally assumed it was an error on seller part. They get junk back, keep what they want and the cycle continues thus making profit. eBay rep said anyone can sell something for hundreds of dollars, get it back and only refund a single cent and because a refund was issued at all, it stops eBay from stepping in and closes the refund. Good to know right?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Fraud

@happykids365 wrote:

eBay rep said anyone can sell something for hundreds of dollars, get it back and only refund a single cent and because a refund was issued at all, it stops eBay from stepping in and closes the refund. Good to know right?

@happykids365 

But that simply isn't true.  The CS reps you reach by chat or callback unfortunately provide simply wrong information ... which is why I recommended you reach the more experienced one on social media.  It's merely a website.

I don't use social media either ... but that doesn't mean we can't contact an eBay rep on social media.  

BTW, eBay policy is that certain sellers ... those that offer 30-day returns AND also are 'Top Rated Sellers' ... can deduct up to 50% of the original price IF the buyer returns an item that is reduced in value when it's returned.  They cannot deduct only a cent ... and cannot deduct anything at all if the item is returned in the same condition as the buyer received it.  

[If you're going to sue ... you need to be aware of the actual policy ... not just go by the word of a rep who just spouts off something they think you want to hear.]

Message 15 of 16
latest reply