cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter option "Item location" gone on international sites?

Let's take German eBay (ebay.de) as an example. Until quite recently it was possible to limit your search to items located in either Germany, Europe, European Union, etc. This highly useful option has now disappeared like a thief in the night. Can anyone explain why? Is there a workaround? Is there any hope for eBay to realize that they have goofed up rather badly on this one?

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

I still see that option when searching on ebay.de.

eburtonlab_0-1661434123496.png

Are you signed in? Is your location set correctly?

Any difference if you try another browser?

If you don't see that option on the search results page, try using the Advanced Search page to specify item location.

Message 2 of 104
latest reply

Thank you for replying! I normally use Firefox but have also tried Chrome. No difference. Same goes for signed in, and my location (Denmark) is displayed. Advanced search gives me the same filter options as a basic, only with everything collected in a single panel.

I don't recall ever having seen the Standard/Within radio buttons before, though.

Message 3 of 104
latest reply

Are you using a desktop browser?

If I go to the Advanced Search page on ebay.de, this is what I see:

eburtonlab_2-1661438383799.png

And here is a test search using Denmark as my location and searching the EU:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_clu=2&_fosrp=1&_ftrt=901&_ipg=240&_dmd=1&gbr=1&_sop=10&_ftrv=1&_fcid...

Message 4 of 104
latest reply

Yup. I'm on a PC. I've never used a phone for eBay.

Now I can see the Location filter in the Adv. search! I must've overlooked it before.

suzie99q_0-1661440968206.png

I don't quite understand why there is both a "Preferred location" and a "Location" option. The first one doesn't seem reliable. When I select EU, I receive a bunch of results with the top ones being from the US. When I select a single country (e.g. Denmark) as "Location", it seems to work, with the Danish results going to the top.

Thank you for showing me, but I still wish it was like before. The "advanced" settings are  not even remebered by the system, so you need to select them every single time.

Message 5 of 104
latest reply

I don't quite understand why there is both a "Preferred location" and a "Location" option.

The first allows you to choose among regions; the second, individual countries. From the ebay.com site:

eburtonlab_0-1661446424246.png

The first one doesn't seem reliable. When I select EU, I receive a bunch of results with the top ones being from the US.

What are you searching for? Sometimes if there are few or no results, the search will be widened automatically. My test search appears to be finding EU items only.

It is possible that eBay is displaying different options based on actual location. You might try searching on some other EU country eBay sites such as France or Ireland to see if you see additional options there.

Thank you for showing me, but I still wish it was like before.

The option still exists; I do not know why you are not seeing it. Perhaps it might be worth it to try clearing your browser cache and deleting eBay cookies.

The "advanced" settings are not even remebered by the system, so you need to select them every single time.

If you bookmark or save a search with those options selected, using the saved or bookmarked search as a starting point should maintain those settings for further searches without needing to go back to the Advanced Search page.

Message 6 of 104
latest reply

Thanks again. I was searching for Sinitta - a British singer who had a couple of fairly big hits in the late 80s but is otherwise best known for her relationships with people more famous than herself. With "preferred locations" set to the EU, I got 99 hits, all of them from the US(!) Setting the "location" to Germany gave 580 hits and Great Britain 2190 hits.

I understand the distinction between "locations" (meaning region) and "location" (meaning country), but why is one "preferred" and not the other? And why not simplify and have just one selection box with both countries and regions?

Message 7 of 104
latest reply

I understand the distinction between "locations" (meaning region) and "location" (meaning country), but why is one "preferred" and not the other?

Not sure why that particular terminology was chosen, but I think it makes a certain amount of sense to provide an option to limit a search to a region like North America or Europe, and another option to limit the search to a single country. Each has its own particular uses. The regional option appears on the general search page (for me, at least); perhaps when the individual country option was added to the Advanced Search page it made sense to treat it as a separate option and give it a different name.

I get 751 results when searching Sinitta using a Denmark shipping location on ebay.de and limiting the results to EU items:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_dmd=1&_clu=2&_fosrp=1&_osacat=0&_ftrt=901&gbr=1&_sop=10&_ftrv=1&LH_P...

eburtonlab_0-1661452464407.png

Message 8 of 104
latest reply

When I click on your link, I get the samme 99 hits (from the US) as I did before:

suzie99q_0-1661458209395.png

Message 9 of 104
latest reply

Most likely something about your actual location (or mine) affects what results appear, or how the search is working (or not).

Message 10 of 104
latest reply

I guess you're probably right. I've tried deleting cookies and going incognito mode, but it didn't help. I hope at some point in the future everything will magically snap back to how it was before.

Message 11 of 104
latest reply

Hi, it happens to me too... i cannot search by location any longer!

Message 12 of 104
latest reply

I have the same issue! No item location filter!

Message 13 of 104
latest reply

Hi!

Same Problem here!

No item location filter.

I am on .ie site, since it is only EU located site with EUR and english.

Ebay, why changing working system?

Outside EU is value TAX added, so I wish buy only at EU, so I need location filter.

I noticed same kind of problem with PC and iphone app.

Fix it!

Message 14 of 104
latest reply

@dotqom 

@primoz249 

@tiinsami 

Are you able to limit your search to EU locations using the Advanced Search page?

If you try the following search on ebay.ie, are the results limited to EU countries?

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=test+123&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3&_f...

Message 15 of 104
latest reply