cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False advertisement !!!!

when will eBay start doing something about so many products being advertised as genuine are real or in my case 18 karat white gold filled and then ending up with something that is just  copper coated and worn off within the first 24 hours of receiving the ring not only is this the first or the second but the third ring from different buyers and I purchased from eBay claiming to be real or genuine 925 silver or white gold filled and it has turned colors within a day or so of just wearing it I don't want a copper plated anything and it's clearly stated to be real 925 and 18kf white gold filled...

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: False advertisement !!!!

My ebay > Purchase history > More actions > Return this item

Depending on the reason, determines who pays return shipping. For an item not as described the seller pays return shipping. A prepaid shipping label is provided. Print out the label, affix it to the package, take it to the post office. Have the clerk SCAN the label. When the package shows DELIVERED back to the seller, the seller has 2 business days to refund you. If no refund, you click the link to Ask ebay to step in to force the refund.

If a seller gets too many cases of Item Not as Described, the seller's status could be downgraded, charged an extra 4% FVF, or restricted.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@kenzcolt wrote:

when will eBay start doing something about so many products being advertised as genuine are real or in my case 18 karat white gold filled and then ending up with something that is just  copper coated and worn off within the first 24 hours of receiving the ring not only is this the first or the second but the third ring from different buyers and I purchased from eBay claiming to be real or genuine 925 silver or white gold filled and it has turned colors within a day or so of just wearing it I don't want a copper plated anything and it's clearly stated to be real 925 and 18kf white gold filled...

eBay doesn't seem to care or do anything to remove fraudulent or bad Sellers.  I've reported a bad jewelry Seller previously and nothing was done.  Because of this I have no trust in eBay anymore and have stopped buying here.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

"claiming to be real or genuine 925 silver or white gold filled"

Just for the future references.
1. Not sure what that means, Is it 925 silver or not?
2. Gold filed means that the is a layer of gold on top of base metal. It is thicker than when item is gold plated but still can be scratch off to show base metal.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

If what you purchased Isn't what it is supposed to be , Send It Back !! Any 925 pieces I own are marked 925 on the piece !! Unless the seller knows how to test the metal he/she shouldn't be claiming it is without the marking !! Return All Pieces that Are Fakes !! 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Ebay has done buyers a disservice by grouping a lot of cheap costume jewelry metals in the Fine Jewelry category.  There are going to be a lot of very unhappy Ebayers once they realize that they didn't get solid gold, but PAID for it.  You really have to carefully read each listing in the fine jewelry category to make sure you are getting a real precious metal.  Unscrupulous sellers will word their listings to try to confuse buyers.  That really bothers me about Ebay's Jewelry Category.  

Ebay is just a platform.  Don't expect Ebay to protect you from making a poor decision (luckily they have the MBG for buyers). If you are having that much bad luck, you really need to consider changing how you are selecting sellers/items.  I hate to say it, but eventually the Ebay bots will start to consider you the problem.  Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@kenzcolt,

"in my case 18 karat white gold filled and then ending up with something that is just copper coated and worn off within the first 24 hours of receiving the ring".

That should not have happened with a "gold filled" ring.  You should have immediately opened an Item Not As Described (INAD) dispute through eBay.  Then the seller would have had to send a return shipping label, or reimburse you for the return cost if the item was sold by an international seller.  What the seller sold you was a gold plated ring and the base metal for plating is often copper. 

"this is not the first or the second but the third ring from different buyers seller and I purchased from eBay claiming to be real or genuine 925 silver or white gold filled".

When shopping on ebay or any other third party retail site, you need to check out your sellers before buying, by checking their feedback profile. Never go by their feedback number or percentage alone. to check a seller's profile click on he number in ( ) to the right of their username/ID.  On the page that opens, you can click on the numbers of non positive feedback they have received, to read only those comments.

Generally speaking jewelry sellers from Asia are not selling pure precious metal or real gem stones, the prices should tell you that.  Often the quality of workmanship of the item you receive will not match the photos either.  Asian sellers often misrepresent the karot count so it is a good idea to have it tested shortly after receiving an item.

When buying jewelry if a seller does not provide a photo showing a 925, or in the case of older jewelry a sterling silver stamp. You are likely getting plated silver.  With gold, the price should tell you if an item is plated or filled. An item that is filled will have 100% more gold on it than a plated item, so the value is higher. If a solid or filled piece you are interested in does not have a photo of the Kt number it is most likely plated. Govt. regs, state that solid and filled items be stamped. Filled item are generally less pure because of the process used to "fill" the metal.

Gold filled jewelry is made from solid gold and filled with other alloys such as rhodium, brass, and sterling silver. Gold filled wears, looks and lasts like solid gold because its outer surface is solid gold. Everything you can see and touch is pure gold. It will not tarnish or turn colors, and it can last for many years of daily wear. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

The 1st ring was fully refunded the 2nd only partially refunded and the 3rd is being fully refunded as of now but it's the frustration of having to find,pay, reorder and wait on a new ring. I think eBay should band the sellers of the fake items being advertised as genuine

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Let me guess, you're paying less than $20 for most of this?
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@ms.piercing wrote:
"claiming to be real or genuine 925 silver or white gold filled"

Just for the future references.
1. Not sure what that means, Is it 925 silver or not?
2. Gold filed means that the is a layer of gold on top of base metal. It is thicker than when item is gold plated but still can be scratch off to show base metal.

.925 is the designation of an alloy known as sterling silver.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

What exactly do you think 'gold filled' is? It is not REAL, its fake. If you are wanting to purchase REAL anything albeit silver or gold then it will not have the words 'filled' anywhere in the title/description and the jewelry itself will be stamped appropriately. This isn't a seller issue unless they intentionally misled you as a buyer, but if the information openly stated filled then it is your error.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@candiesduds,

"What exactly do you think 'gold filled' is? It is not REAL, its fake".

There is a big difference between Filled and Plated items and how they are manufactured.   The photos provided by the OP are definitely plated items, not filled.  Many pieces of fine jewelry that will be worn daily are filled gold items which by law have to contain a minimum of 1/20th or 5% of the pieces weight. That is because solid or 24kt gold is a soft metal and may not hold up to the rigors of daily wear. Generally speaking any piece listed as being less than 22kt gold, will be Gold Filled.  I suggest you go online and look up the difference between Filled and Plated gold items, before calling filled items fake.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

There are just a few things that I would not go to ebay to purchase. High-end jewelry would be one of those things. Luckily, buyers in good standing have the MBG in their favor..

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

First, stamped 925, 14k, 18k, etc., means something or nothing. From Asia, 99.9% of stamped items mean nothing. And now, the very same fake items are showing up from US sellers for significantly more money on eBay, Craigslist, at flea markets, etc. and they initially appear nice. In fact, we have taken some fake stamped .925 junk to professionals that we could have sold to as the real thing.

When caught or complaining, the typical response is "did you really expect 925 for $2.00?" Well, it is an auction site and nobody goes to an auction to pay retail. And since you can get between 15 and 30 rings out of a Troy ounce of .9999 silver that is about $15, it is possible at wholesale levels for .925.... we purchase in that price range all the time from ISO factories. A ring machine does not care if you put in copper, silver or gold and will stamp whatever the ring machine was originally set up for.

One might 'think' you can go by auction description and that is absolutely ludicrous. First, acquaint yourself with what filled, plated or solid actually means by western laws and then forget it.... For instance, "filled" means the item has to comprise 10% of the total weight claimed for that item. You will be lucky if any advertised "18k gold filled" item from Asia, sold by Asian or US sellers, has anymore than a very thin 10k electroplating that we can easily prove with our XRF tester.

For alleged "solid .925 silver," they are cheap enough to order two and cut one in half. You have not lost much because if really 925 silver, you have scrap value. But beware, if not copper, which is much easier to plate, or brass, the 'smart ones' use zinc that because of color, will probably require acid testing. If you don't have acid, or don't want to play with it, two pair of pliers and snap a piece will reveal zinc to be more brittle and more porous looking than silver.

Another scam that wholesalers and importers need to consider, is that the foreign seller will send as advertised with the first 'test' order and then when ordering a few hundred, you will receive something different.

Meanwhile, we have laws in the USA that govern the stamping of any precious metal item that includes being a criminal offense to mail fake items through the US Postal system. Not that Asian sellers are going to pay for any return, it is something to consider when returning fake stamped items for a refund.

That said, you are unlikely to obtain real, but if you read the feedback, 95 to 99 percent of the buyers do not have a clue... and that makes the seller and eBay happy. Play with the apple cart and you will get your hand slapped with too many returns for not as described. It is about profits, not the individual.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Can you please define "buyers in good standing"?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply