cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

We all know about Craigslist and the scammers/con artists that flood that site , but now it seems Ebay is getting that same way with con artists and scammers that take your money and don't send what you've purchased. The only difference I can tell and see that separate the two sites, is that at least here on Ebay, you can usually get your money back 99% of the time and leave appropriate feedback to warn others. With Craigslist if you dont get your item, you're pretty much outta luck. I've noticed in recent times that Ebay has more and more scammers that rip you off, or at least try to take your money and not send what you paid for. Anyone else having problems with "sellers" on here that give you every excuse under the sun why they havent sent your item out? or some that never hear from the seller? 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

Craigslist is for LOCAL sales, and paid for in person and if a person is stupid enough to send money to a stranger with no recourse or no proof the item exists, well they're asking to be scammed.

Nobody is ripped of on eBay. There is MBG here. If you follow it you're fine.

It is inconvenient to have to wait for a refund though. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

@scuby109,

You've posted about 1 transaction twice, and have received answers that explain why some of what happened could have happened.   If you cannot find the posts go to the upper right corner of this page and click on your avatar photo, select my profile.  On the page that opens you can see your topics and click on the titles to be taken to them.

You have been asked to wait to get refunds because you have to wait until the last estimated delivery date has passed, before you can open an Item Not Received dispute or can ask ebay to step in.  Once again, eBay Does Not Require that sellers use tracking. 

Comparing eBay to Craig's List is like comparing apples to grapefruit.  90% of the items listed on C.L. are local pick up items where you pay in person after inspection. Those who risk paying in advance for items not in one's area on C.L. are taking a serious risk because that site does not have a buyer protection policy.  eBya on the other hand does have a very good MBG policy.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

Actually I think there are now five posts about the same transaction. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

@kathiec wrote:

Reminds me of Shakespeare's "Me thinks he doth protest too much." 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

Totally opposite site mentality, other than the aforementioned difference in format and procedure:

Buyers have the advantage on eBay. History and the policies in force support this.

Sellers have the advantage on Craigslist. Meeting in public and buying an item that many times cannot be tested is a huge gamble for the buyer. Also the seller can ghost very easily after with no recourse.

😂

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

@7606dennis 

< Shakespeare >  

In Gertrude's line "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."  the comma before methinks is important. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

It depends what you are purchasing on eBay. I usually get what I ordered. I have had nothing lost. Some sellers can be a little slow mailing something out. There are many reasons for that. If a hurricane was near a seller I don't think the seller is going to run out to mail your package in a hurricane ASAP. If there is a fire near the post office the seller will wait until it is safe to mail it. If a heavy rain downpour is going on your package will be delayed. I never mail anything out in a heavy rain for I do not want my packages wet. We don't actually know is going on with the seller taking so long to mail something. I got a flat tire on my motorcycle 2 days ago and now need to walk to the post office. I did order vitamins on eBay and it was delivered with an Amazon box and it was women's vitamins and not men's vitamins and I took them anyway. Too much work and time to complain.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

Both sellers are buyers risk waisting a lot of times trying to set up successful transactions, so at least on eBay you get to deal with all of that in the comfort of your living room.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

@gkn29 wrote:

Totally opposite site mentality, other than the aforementioned difference in format and procedure:

Buyers have the advantage on eBay. History and the policies in force support this.

Sellers have the advantage on Craigslist. Meeting in public and buying an item that many times cannot be tested is a huge gamble for the buyer. Also the seller can ghost very easily after with no recourse.

😂

@gkn29,

I'd hate to tell you how many hours I have wasted waiting for C.L. buyers who are no shows.  Often when they do show up, even though they can test the item, they will say, "I only brought this much money with me", trying to dicker.  FYI.  Since most C.L. transactions take place locally if something does not work as advertised there is always small claims court. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

If you deal face to face on cl that eliminates 99% of their scams and if people take the time to read their fraud and scam section they would be more informed but it seems many don't seeng how many still fall prey over there.  even when I  list over there they warn me again before I can get my item listed everytime. 

I rarely waste time waiting for people on cl. I make them come to me so I am busy doing something else anyways so no show, no problem, sometimes I even forget I have people showing up.  I am getting something done. I am not just sitting on my but waiting for them and complain if they are late or a no show. 

I also list firm prices on most of my items there and when they come to you they pay the price or leave empty handed, They wasted their time, not you so rarely I have people trying to chew me down after they show up here.  it is when you plan to meet them someplace else and waste your time, then those ones will hit you up at half price. if you don't cave some you wasted time. So I don't play those games anymore.  You come to me knowing my price already. you try to get me down, I just walk away and go back to what I was doing, you can drive the hour home without it. 

don't get me wrong, some items I might dicker  when they are here like they see other items here and 1 of them is like my last one left so i might give them a discounted price to move it or like the guy a couple of years ago came to buy a pool from me and we struck up a conversation about them and before he left he brought all 7 of them i had left instead of just 1 , made him a deal that was good for both of us. but most times if they are buying just the 1 item I pretty much stick to my guns.

how do educate people that don't take the time to read fraud and scam alerts on sites they rarely use? I don't think the technology is quite there yet to have the computer scream scam alert and hit you over the head with a boxing glove to wake people up.  

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

I am not sure how anybody can compare eBay to Facebook or Craigslist - until they can potentially reach a billion buyers world wide, there is no comparison.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

Craigslist is completely dead. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

@kathiec wrote:

And a negative has been left.  Move on from it.  Looks like the OP has upset a few buyers himself and should maybe be a little more compassionate.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Ebay vs. Craigslist.

I used CL only when I want to give something away for free. I've had mixed results on selling on CL, besides, I do not like meeting people at home, rather do it in a neutral place. CL is also a bit manual process when you have to renew your listings, but they do not take any commissions, I guess you get what you pay for. I feel that CL was taken over the old community board from your local supermarket.   

Message 15 of 17
latest reply