cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not link your bank account to ebay/paypal

Somehow a 3rd party got compromised and they posted some bogus merchandise, and then they force others to buy it (bug in ebay, account hacked?). This just happened to me, out $107 right now because of fraud on ebay, and ebay even sent me emails confirming it. Now I have to goe through a claims process because ebay cannot control it's own system. Ebay will never have access to my bank account again. Do not trust them, they can instantly take money out of your account for fraudulent activity, but when it comes to putting the money back in - you have to go through an unnecessary process and ebay even admits the transactions were fraud. I cannot even deposit my paycheck right now because of this. Never again ebay - no longer a trusted source. RETURN MY MONEY NOW!!!

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

So sorry this happened to you, OP.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

How were you forced to buy something
Message 3 of 38
latest reply

That is the big mystery. Ebay first sent me an email saying that a 3rd party had been compromised and the transaction was fraudulent. This should not be possible. I did not buy anything and a seller should not be able to force a transaction - but I had two orders bought and paid for. This came directly out of my checking account credit card.  Ebay has already stated the transactions were fraudulent - no question about that - but how is this possible?  Ebay/paypal will never have access to my bank account again.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

@shanewarfel123 wrote:

That is the big mystery. Ebay first sent me an email saying that a 3rd party had been compromised and the transaction was fraudulent. This should not be possible. I did not buy anything and a seller should not be able to force a transaction - but I had two orders bought and paid for. This came directly out of my checking account credit card.  Ebay has already stated the transactions were fraudulent - no question about that - but how is this possible?  Ebay/paypal will never have access to my bank account again.

Someone hacked your eBay account. Did you change your eBay and PayPal passwords?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Yes, password changed. But the bigger problem is that a third party seller was involved.  This makes me think that there is an internal security problem with ebay.  Have hackers stolen login credentials from ebay?  It just seems kind of elaborate to hack a seller, then hacker a buyer and force a transaction. Only ebay benefits from this. Maybe a rogue employee?  They still have my money.  I'm thinking of registering a website to show the transactions and the emails ebay has already sent me.

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

it sounds bizarre,you mean somene hacked both the seller and you the buyer Ebay accounts?

and pretending he is you and bought from the seller?

he does not have to hack teh seller account,only the buyer?

are you sure these emails are for real?

you use your phone a lot ?and download apps? and log on to your bank and cc?

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

This whole thing sounds very fishy.

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

The emails are real, they came from ebay stating that the transactions were fraudulent. Let me make this clear - it was two sellers that were compromised and they listed bogus stuff for both of them. Why list bogus stuff? And... two of these transactions took place within a minute of each other. One at 6:53am, another at 6:54am.  These are the "

ORDER CONFIRMED: Dyson HD01 Supersoni...

emails. I get two of them, bought and paid for.  After I get the two order confirmations (which I did not make), I get an email from ebay saying one of them was fraudulent and it was canceled - but since I already paid for it I had to file a claim. Ebay knew it was fraud and made me file a claim.

None of this should happen.  I'm just warning everyone.  I think if there is enough interest I will post the emails and the timeline.  And thank you Ebay, my bank account says the charges are still there.
Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Here is what I got from ebay on one of them right away...

Your recent eBay transaction may be from a compromised account

Hello shanewarfel123,

You were recently involved in a transaction for the following item:  
142781965567 - BestMassage 2" Pad 84" Black Massage Table Free Carry Case Bed Spa Facial T

We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have accessed the seller’s account to list this item. The item has been removed from the site, and the transaction was cancelled. We ask that you take the following precautions:

- If you already paid for the item, you may be protected by eBay. Open a request with the Resolution Center and choose, "I bought an item. I haven't received it yet." You can access the Resolution Center by visiting:

- If the transaction doesn't qualify for eBay’s protection, please immediately contact the payment service used to request a refund.

- If you haven't paid for your item, consider this transaction canceled and do not send payment.

In this situation, your account wasn't accessed by the third party involved. At eBay, we take a number of steps to help ensure the security of your account. Learn more about protecting your account at:

Thanks,

eBay 

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

@shanewarfel123

When your account has been hacked, it didn't happen on eBay, your information was compromised somewhere else, most likely through your email. So you need to take steps to protect yourself, and you have to do a bunch of the stuff yourself. eBay can only help with some of this. You will contact eBay in step 4, and then you can ask them to credit your account for the fees.

The first and most important thing is to get it back in your control, and keep the hacker out. This is what you need to do, in this order of priority (to prevent warning the scammer if he is active at the time):

1.  Check and correct all of your contact information (addresses, email addresses, phone numbers). Check your cell phone number as well, and make sure that it is your number (so the hacker can't reset the password by text after you change it).

2. Change your password.

3. Use this link to find out if you have any orphaned eBay sessions that are still active. Many of these orphaned sessions will be your own, but you should end all but your current session. This will kick the hacker out (he may be using a persistent session to maintain his access even if you change the password).
    signinalert.ebay.com/sgninalrt/sessions

4. Once you get the hacker out for good, you need to report to eBay Customer Service that your account has been stolen. Here is a direct link to report a hijacked account. This phone number is available 24/7, and usually has a short wait time.
    http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cusr?query=1586
    This is where you can ask them to remove any transactions from your account, and refund your money.

5. When your account gets hacked, it is almost always because your email account was hacked. So do what is needed to secure your email account as well. If you don't secure your email account then the hacker can get back in again easily.

6. Or, because your computer has malware on it, so run your antivirus and antimalware scans, and let them get rid of anything they find.

7. When you get your account back in your control, make sure that you change your password again, and change the security questions as well (because the hacker will have been able to see them). Don't use the same password as you use on other sites.

8. You should check your PayPal account if you have one. Check all your contact information in your PayPal account, remove any phone #s and addresses that are not yours. Especially check cell phone #s. Change your password, and any security questions.

9. If you allowed "quicker checkout" on eBay or other websites (not recommended) you can disable that by logging in to PayPal, then click the gear symbol ⚙ (top right). Click the Security tab, then Auto login at checkout > Update, then disable auto login for all devices > save the settings.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Why hack the two seller accounts and post bogus merchandise?  This wan't just someone hacking my account - this was multiple hacks and ebay is aware of it. 

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

The first step, and the most important step is to get ebay/palpal out of your bank account.  None of the other stuff really matters after that.  Link a prepaid card to Paypal and keep a minimum balance on it. That way if the account is hacked you don't give them access to your bank account - which is the point of the post.  I trusted ebay and paypal too much.  Ebay was aware of the fraud immediately and it still didn't help - keep them out of your bank account and nothing else really matters.

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

They may not have been hacked accounts, they may have been "real" accounts that the sellers were selling shady stuff off of.

The "third party" message is a standard message sent out any time ebay removes a sold listing.

Or the same person could have used a phishing scheme to steal your password as well as theirs.

As a standard practice you shouldn't link your bank account to anything on the internet, and you should never click on links in your email.

Especially those claiming to be from a financial institution or some place that has access to your credit cards, bank ECT.

Never use the same password for your email, PayPal and ebay.
Oh and run a virus scan at LEAST once a week, and if you didn't do it after changing your password, do so, then change them again.
Message 14 of 38
latest reply

@shanewarfel123

@shanewarfel123 wrote:

The first step, and the most important step is to get ebay/palpal out of your bank account.  None of the other stuff really matters after that. ...

That is step 9, and if you don't do the other steps as well, then your account will still be wide open to be hacked again.

Also, you may have malware, like a trojan or keystroke logger on your computer reporting all your passwords for all sites you use.

So yes, the other steps matter. And the order of the steps is carefully set up to avoid tipping the scammer off until you've got them out of your account and prevented them from getting back in.

Message 15 of 38
latest reply