cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable ebay search suggestions is gone?

There used to be an option to click "Hide ebay suggestions" for search suggestions but lately it seems to be gone. Does anyone know how to bring this back and disable search suggestions?

What I mean is when you type in to the search box in ebay it pops up suggested answers down below while you're typing. This is highly annoying and useless and is seriously getting on my nerves.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I dealt with it long ago by just blocking the eBay subdomain used for the autosuggest feature (I loathe autosuggests)

I use the Windows HOSTS file for that with an entry like this: 0.0.0.0 autosug.ebay.com

Could also be implemented in an Adblock Plus rule like so: autosug.ebay.com^$domain=ebay.com

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

When you type in the search field and the drop down of suggestions drops down, look at the very bottom of that list. Click Hide eBay suggestions there.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Same problem here, the little orange arrow/box icon is gone. Seems like Ebay has messed with the search box cookies or something. All my saved searches are browser generated, NOT Ebay suggestions.

I detest auto suggest, I don't want my searches subjected to demographics and probability algorithms. I have very specific searches, I don't want my search box being taken from me by statistical initiatives.

Please TURN THE HIDE EBAY SUGGESTIONS FEATURE BACK ON!!!

Of all the annoying things to do, this tops the list. I use Ebay all the time. If this feature is not brought back, bye bye for good. So stupid! How to take something that works and trash it.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I dealt with it long ago by just blocking the eBay subdomain used for the autosuggest feature (I loathe autosuggests)

I use the Windows HOSTS file for that with an entry like this: 0.0.0.0 autosug.ebay.com

Could also be implemented in an Adblock Plus rule like so: autosug.ebay.com^$domain=ebay.com
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Wow! I added autosug.ebay.com^$domain=ebay.com under custom filters in ublock origin and they're -GONE- !!!!! It works! thank you so so much. *hug*

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Cool grin And nice to know that (at least some) Adblock rules are compatible with ublock origin.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Tried the filter rules in my adblocker and it only solved half the problem.

With the filter applied, the auto suggestions are gone  (good!) but my cached items still don't come up in the search window. The "Hide Ebay Suggestions" icon appears on my phone browser (Safari) but is not showing up on my laptop (Firefox 60.0.2).

Wondering now if I am having a browser issue?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

>>but my cached items still don't come up in the search window

What are "cached items"? Do you mean previous search term entries you typed in that are stored in browser form history?

Newer versions of Firefox have (had?) issues with form history and eBay, particularly with saved feedback comments (ie: Firefox 52 wouldn't save any feedback comments typed in, while FF 3.6.24 and FF31 were fine and behaved like they always had, and stored/retrieved the comments.)

Wonder if that's what is going on here?

>>Wondering now if I am having a browser issue?

Don't know, but it sounds like it. eBay appears to serve up different functionality depending on browser detected, and that may be what you are seeing.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Folks... this thread was only about figuring out how to get rid of the auto-suggestions when typing in the search box. And we have figured that out and it's done and solved now. This discussion is over. I even marked it solved and everything. If you have any other issues with 'cached items', I would suggest you open a new thread about it.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Not Solved. 

I added  " #       0.0.0.0         autosug.ebay.com " to the host file and it worked for 1 day and after restart the "Hide ebay suggestions" is gone again. 

I removed and added back to host file and cannot get it to work again

Any other suggestions to get this working?

This is the dumbest thing ebay could have done

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

>>I added " # 0.0.0.0 autosug.ebay.com " to the host file

You do not want the # there - that is a comment symbol in a HOSTS file and makes the entire line a comment and non-functional.

0.0.0.0 autosug,ebay.com

is a correct format (I use a tab in between 0.0.0.0 and the domain, but spaces work fine too), or

127.0.0.1 autosug.ebay.com

which is the standard format. (127.0.0.1 which is localhost on a Windows machine blackholes the request. Years ago there were arguments that using 0.0.0.0 was faster/lower overhead -I went with it since it is easier to type quickly. 0.0.0.0 may not work on all installations depending on OS, software installed, and what else has been done to the TCP stack.)

If you did it correctly and it worked for a day then quit - I'm baffled. Been working fine for me for years without touching it (I had to work - rule out CSS rules, Adblock rules, filtering scripts, and proxy filters - to find it and figure out that's how I did it).

If you use Adblock Plus or Adblock or ublock origin or whatever adblocker, using the adblocker rule I posted above will also work.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Everyone should be using either Adblock plus or ublock origin in any modern browser. Just add the rule to it:

autosug.ebay.com^$domain=ebay.com

Under custom rules and it's gone. It's simple and this is the solution and you don't have to screw around with the hosts file. As I said, it's resolved. Please stop dragging this thread any further.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

You are making me regret helping. This isn't your personal help line.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

No, I know it isn't my personal help line but it's done and resolved. Y'all are chasing down some other unrelated issue with hosts file and what not. If you have any other issues, then just go open another thread and resovle it there. This is resolved and closed. It's standard internet forum ettiquite. Anywhere on the internet a mod would come lock the thread by now. I wish they would here if they can.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

That isn't the etiquette or standard practice here. (when in Rome...)

You can ask the mods to lock it for you as OP (which is also bad form in my eyes, but permitted.)

You won't ever be bothered with my off topic (or helpful) posts again.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply