cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I get scammed ? And will Ebay Moneyback Guarantee Protect Me?

Hello All, 

I've been buying and selling on ebay for many years now and have never been or felt scammed until this week. I've been looking at buying GPU's to help set up a VR program for the elementary school that I work at and since they are sold out everywhere due to the bitcoin mining craze. I decided to look into ebay. 

Well I found two listings from the same seller listing the graphics cards that would be perfect at a decent price based on the crazy demand for the cards. I quickly purchase and pay for them only to discover in the next morning that in the description it has hidden between the lines that nothign will be shipped and that the purpose of the listing is to provide education on the price of the graphics card.

The seller yesterday also shipped the two "items" under first class certified mail, which I know are not the graphics cards since there is no way they would fit withing the restrictions for certified mail. 

What is the best approach to go at this at this point from those with more experience in this matter? Did I get scammed or did I just get taught a very expensive lesson?

-Johnny 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Wow..

When you get the certified letters..file a SNAD..do as instructed..you'll get your money back..

So much wrong with that listing...yikes...

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Did you read his feedback before making this purchase? Terrible..

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@Anonymous

tyler@ebay

brian@ebay

We talked about these disclaimers not too long ago.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

You should be able to win a Significantly Not As Described claim since both the category and title are for a graphics card.  The listing is in violation with the conflicting disclaimer in the description.

When you do receive something in the mail and it is not the card follow the Money Back Guarantee step by step to file the claim for not as described.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

My goodness. The old "list of places where you can buy an iPhone" scam comes back in a new body.Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Did you read the listing?
“Note this listing does not include anything, nothing will be sent.
The purpose of this listing is ONLY to provide
education on the price of the graphics card“
It clearly says they send nothing. Report the listings & the sellers.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@z_e_i_n wrote:

Hello All, 

I've been buying and selling on ebay for many years now and have never been or felt scammed until this week. I've been looking at buying GPU's to help set up a VR program for the elementary school that I work at and since they are sold out everywhere due to the bitcoin mining craze. I decided to look into ebay. 

Well I found two listings from the same seller listing the graphics cards that would be perfect at a decent price based on the crazy demand for the cards. I quickly purchase and pay for them only to discover in the next morning that in the description it has hidden between the lines that nothign will be shipped and that the purpose of the listing is to provide education on the price of the graphics card.

The two items are 

Graphics Card 1

Graphics Card 2

The seller yesterday also shipped the two "items" under first class certified mail, which I know are not the graphics cards since there is no way they would fit withing the restrictions for certified mail. 

What is the best approach to go at this at this point from those with more experience in this matter? Did I get scammed or did I just get taught a very expensive lesson?

-Johnny 

Hi @z_e_i_n, if there is any contradictory or misleading information in a listing, we are able to protect you through our eBay Money Back Guarantee. Once the items are received, open a Return Request and contact customer service if you have any specific questions!

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

This is what the listings say
“Note this listing does not include anything, nothing will be sent.
The purpose of this listing is ONLY to provide
education on the price of the graphics card“
Clearly a scam. The OP probably won’t get anything. How can this happen?
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

if there is any contradictory or misleading information in a listing, !

These listings need to be taken down immediately and the seller suspended.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

if there is any contradictory or misleading information in a listing, !

These listings need to be taken down immediately and the seller suspended.

Absolutely! This does not instill trust on eBay or it’s sellers. Shameful!

I remember some years ago there was a case on Judge Judy, the lady bought a cell phone on eBay & got a picture of a cell phone. The seller lost the case & Judge Judy was not amused.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

the ONLY reason to have this type listing is to trick someone into buying without reading. sure, it clearly states what you get but NOBODY would ever pay for this without being fooled! how many get fooled, then accept that they agreed to it? why would anyone shop where they need to have their gaurd up constantly?

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Now that people at eBay are aware of this, have the listings been taken down and the seller suspended yet?  If not, why not?

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

Now that people at eBay are aware of this, have the listings been taken down and the seller suspended yet?  If not, why not?

Nope...all 3 items sold are still viable.

Sad that no action on reports seems to be the norm around here.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

"01-12-2018 02:33:24 PM"

Those listings should have been down by 2:45.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply