cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

***CAR SCAM***

Anyone who is reading this I was almost scammed and I read a couple other eBay members post who dealt with the same individual as me! This person tells you they are in the military and the car is in the logistic storage facility and you will receive the car in afew days. They make up the big all reason why they are getting rid of the car and sending excessive info about it. They will tell you they want to use eBay for the transaction and ask for your name and info. They will tell you they can't speak to you on the phone because supposedly training all day. Please do your homework and don't get scammed. These people are devils. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

***CAR SCAM***

Very common...we get a thread on this every other day..

I am more shocked at the people that fall for it..TBH..

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

@zakar-jaso wrote:

"... I read a couple other eBay members post who dealt with the same individual as me! This person tells you..."

You hit on just one, but

be assured, this is no one-man operation. There are hundreds.....thousands of these ads.  More than one individual could manuver. Though the spiel  may be the same, there are a countless number of these people working for organizations that perpetuate scams involving eBay,  Craigslist, and other selling venues. Likely, there are "operators" working at a call/computer center, much like the operators answering phones at a muscular dystrophy Telethon. This is no one-horse operation, but rather something that involves many criminalistic individuals. You are correct though... they are devils.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

Please forward scam email to car@ebay.com

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

Glad you didn't fall for it, sadly many do

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

@zakar-jaso,

As others have said these are common scams that happen on many different sites, and are not just limited to vehicle sales.  Often there are pressing reasons for selling the item, a soldier being deployed, someone's family member needs a medical procedure, someone pased away and the item needs to be sold to pay for a funeral, a person is relocating, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

All sites that allow sellers to connect with buyers have warnings about scams, and tips on how to spot them.  The only site that has ebay protections is ebay.  Never fall for listings that say the vehicle will be delivered, and you have X number of days to inspect it, and it can be returned for free, or the vehicle is being held at a warehouse (especially if it says an ebay warehouse) ebay does not have warehouses. 

You were smart enough to check out the seller or listing, many are not and lose their money. eBay cannot verify every listing or seller, so as a car buyer you have to do your due dilligence.  If a vehicle you are interested in is listed in another state, you will have to call a vehicle appraiser in that area and pay for an inspection.  It can be worth it in the long run.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

My son-in-law's mother fell for this she lost over $4,000. She was too embarrassed to talk about it....so I never did find out the details. However, the Guy DID GO TO JAIL! So, at least eBay must be doing something about it. ( I don't think she got her money back though.)

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

@imakesugar,

"However, the Guy DID GO TO JAIL! So, at least eBay must be doing something about it".

ebay never lets people know the outcome of any investigation they do. How did your SIL's mother find out the guy went to jail? The people who pull these scams generally do so on more than one site, and if they do it for too long sooner or later they get caught, because they mess up. 

You may want to suggest to your son in law, that if his mother has any proof of payment to the person, that she file a civil complaint and at least get a judgement against the guy.  If he gets out and doesn't stat paying restitution, he can be tossed back in jail.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

@u_cant_take_it_with_u wrote:

@zakar-jaso wrote:

"... I read a couple other eBay members post who dealt with the same individual as me! This person tells you..."

You hit on just one, but

be assured, this is no one-man operation. There are hundreds.....thousands of these ads.  More than one individual could manuver. Though the spiel  may be the same, there are a countless number of these people working for organizations that perpetuate scams involving eBay,  Craigslist, and other selling venues. Likely, there are "operators" working at a call/computer center, much like the operators answering phones at a muscular dystrophy Telethon. This is no one-horse operation, but rather something that involves many criminalistic individuals. You are correct though... they are devils.

Nonsense. It takes very little effort to blanket craigslist with ads.  But it is a very common scam, most likely with several individuals working individually.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

Gosh I think it was last week or the week before, at least 12 people posted that they had been scammed or nearly scammed by these heartless thieves. I'm so glad you didn't send money!
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

You have no clue.... if you truly think only one or two people are perpetuating these fraudulent ads, you are extremely delusional. Don't just talk to hear your teeth rattle.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

@u_cant_take_it_with_u,

Your reply to deep-garnet-red, is not only rude, but is not entirely correct either.  Yes there are some well organized scams set up that involve a group of people.  However, a single person can go on to Craigs List, and run several of the same scam ad, on CL sites in different states.

Recently there was one person on ebay who would list auctions for old deep sea brass diving helmets.  In their listing they would direct members to contact them first to get shipping options since they listed shipping as "Freight".  They would try to get  members who contacted them, to pay outside of ebay/paypal.   It ran for a week in Florida, then in Califonia and finally in Alabama, before the listings were shut down by ebay, after someone asked on the boards if it was a scam, and the auctions were reported.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

Sow-----eee. But her response to my thread was not winning any congeniality points either. (Come on now, admit it ...If you do it fast, it kills the pain) "not entirely correct"?  Isn't that like saying a little bit pregnant? One either is, or they're not.  How about we ALL check our holier-than-thou 'tuds at the front door, shall we?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

Yes it's true, somebody is always looking for the easy money and some of them are willing to go to great lengths to relieve you of it however your best defense is education so educate yourself.

When buying/selling a car this search brings up a lot of good results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+avoid+being+scammed

As well probably the two three four biggest and most important tips I can give you:

• DO NOT sell or buy a car from someone who is unable or unwilling to meet you face to face.
  • NEVER buy a car that you have not seen in real life.
  • Selling/buying a car "sight unseen" is a load of bull manure.
  • If buying/selling in private, cash works best

There exist as well several ways you can handle used car buying scams.

If you purchased the used car at a dealership, report the dealership to the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can use the BBB to report your own scams, as well as research used car dealers to make sure others haven't reported any used car buying scams from that dealership.

Also, you might consider contacting your state's attorney general, who is the state's chief legal advisor and law enf1rcement entity.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

***CAR SCAM***

Here is another link You can't access the  tv program but You can read about it

international car scam from europe

Smiley Wink Sugar

Message 14 of 14
latest reply